Salmon/Stealhead Spinning Rods Under $100

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Michigander84, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Michigander84

Michigander84

I have a Salmon trip this weekend and I need a Rod. What are the Best Rods for $100 and under.

Also, Instead having to buy a new real I was thinking of using Fireline or something and spooling some 8lb of it to one my smaller spinning reels. I'll be using it for drift fishing from shore with spawn. I highly appreciate the input!

Thanks!

2. Michigander84

Michigander84

3. Speyday

Speyday

Google around these names and you'll see there's lots available. In the last couple years, inexpensive rods with the length and actions to handle steelies and salmon are popping up all over.

Okuma has a line called "conniseuer" of inexpensive rods in different lengths and actions.
    Browning has a few rods as well; the series is called "six rivers". They may be discontinued, but Bass Pro Shops was a really big buyer of them when they were released--check there.

Shimano has a series called Convergence, and those come in around 80 bucks.
    Ive seen and wiggled all of them; and for the price, they seemed really good! Honestly, rods have evolved and come a long way. And Ive been at this game for awhile and owned a lot of stuff. FWIW.

Yes, the "great" rods are always in the 150-250 range, but sometimes when it comes to success,
    its "the indian--NOT the arrow". Save a few bucks, always a good idea. Have a good trip!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  4. vampile

vampile

I picked up a 10'6" medium light a while back from Rapala for about $50. It's rated 6-12lb and 1/4 to 5/8oz. might be a little on the light side for kings but not a bad rod.

5. salmo'dog

salmo'dog

Well said Speyday ! The Okuma rods he mentioned are fantastic pier and surf fishing rods, they will also work in the river just fine as long as the fish are hooked legal and you have head control. If you are horsing a foul hooked fish, then they may shatter in pieces, but the goes for most rods.

Good Fishin'

6. Michigander84

Michigander84

I've seen the Shimano's at Gander Mountain and they felt and looked like a great rod for the money. I'll have to check out those Okuma rods. I've read other reviews that say they're great for their price point as well. I also read the Berkly IM7 Salmon rods are good for the money as too.

I do plan on spending some real money one day on a nice rod but being from SE Michigan, where the Salmon aren't, I'm not just ready to drop several hundred on one. Just looking to have a good weekend not kill the pocket or my rod on the first hook up.

Any suggestions on line?

Thanks y'all.

7. The_Don

The_Don

I have 9' okumas in the med/light and they are a blast to get a good fighting steely on.

8. CrashAxe

CrashAxe

Okuma Conniseur "Steelhead" M/L 10' rod, has awsome action, excellent waranty and they are quite tough. Northwoods outlet in Pinnconing had them for around $40. I like the smaller spinning reels strung with fireline crystal 10# test.

9. diztortion

diztortion

I have 3 Okuma con's and I think the spinner is kinda light for kings. The baitcaster is rated for 12-20 and handles them just fine. With salmon, I usually look for a 10-17lb or 12-20lb rating.

10. brookies101

brookies101

I got my 10' convergence for $59 at gander. Works well for the pier and the river. Check out the guide series rods as well. Not as good as the shimano, but still gets the job done

11. Speyday

Speyday

Brookie/Michigander,

I just took Brookies101 tip and bought that 10 foot convergence rated "M" power and the 8-17 lb line rating this morning. But I'd call it more like 8-14. Splitting hairs. This is my 3rd one.
    So, I can endorse it even further thru that series of blanks. Nice rod, and plenty enough to handle salmon; esp. in the sizes they are running these days.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  12. Toga

Toga

I picked up a 9.5 ft bass pro micro lite graphite float and fly for my son this winter as it was time for a starter steelie rod but not quite time to build him a rod yet. For a store bought rod I was quite impressed. So impressed I picked up another for myself to keep in my trunk as a "just in case" rod. It is sensitive, has some butt to it, a decent cork handle, and is very light. A tad light for kings but if you have a little room to wear them out it will work just fine.

13. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

If you are shattering rods because of the way the fish is hooked, something besides your rod choice is the problem.
    I have a connoisseur at 9' that works great, but just got two 10'6" Okuma SST rods that I really like.

14. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

Toga
    Those Micro Lite rods from BPS are one hell of a rod for the money.
    I have landed 13# browns as well as many smaller Browns and numerous Jacks and Whitefish on the 10' model.

15. brookies101

brookies101

Yeah i really like the rod. I pretty much use mine for everything, surf, pier, and river. Probably gonna try using it for the pin i plan on buying here in the next few months. I know it wont be the best rod for the job, but after spending the loot for the reel, probably not gonna have anything left for a better rod :lol:... Ohh well, i fish smaller creeks alot for steelies (gonna hit a couple closer to home especially hard this year ;)), so hopefully it will work for now