Salmon Pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Nrthoakco, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Nrthoakco

Nrthoakco

Hey guys. Got into pinning this spring with entry level aventaaand want to go after Kings this fall. From what ivd read a 4-8 aventa isnt gonna get it done. Anybody have a king pin rod they'd part with? Mainly fishing from a boat on PM and big Man.
    I wouldn't think the new clarus rods are what I'm looking for either.
    Drop me a pm. Thx

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Don't know your budget, but look for something in the 10-17#, 11-13' range if you plan to use it just for Kings. I use a 8-12# most of the time, but you have to be careful on the big boys. Sorry I don't have anything I want to get rid of right now in that range.:)

3. Nrthoakco

Nrthoakco

4. Nrthoakco

Nrthoakco

Y
    Yep. Couple guys offered up exactly that.

benelli/girl likes this.
  5. brian0013

brian0013

I have a aventa, a okuma sst . And a clarus.the sst I chuck with but it’s a great salmon rod for the price can’t beat it in my opinion.i brought the clarus for salmon because I felt I was under powered to .Have only been steelheading with it but it’s a nice stick so will see in a a week or so on a king . That being said I’ve straightened out 1/0 gamma hooks with 8 lb test on my aventa! If the class is as big as last .. n its looking that way you’ll need a minimum 15 lb main with 12 lb Leader to but the brakes on imo

6. Nrthoakco

Nrthoakco

7. Nrthoakco

Nrthoakco

Ended up with 10-17 rainshadow 1324 thanks to all the offers!

8. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

You made a great choice, I am sure you will enjoy using that build from a good guy.

9. nighttime

nighttime

I’d suggest at least 20# main or 30 and 15,17,and 20# leaders. Most don’t like hydro float, which I have 30# on mine for salmon then run two more line under , 20# maxima or 20# clear Bloodrun, then most times 17# seaguar floro. If there’s fish and no bites go down to 15# and lots of biting fish then step up to 20# very rare for salmon I run less then 15. Not saying you can’t land fish on less. I see that blood run has a 23# out not sure how accurate rating is

Troutguy12, slightofhand and UBDSLO1 like this.