Salmon hard bait advise

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Dpricher, Aug 21, 2017.

1. RippinLipp

RippinLipp

The old ping-a-tee. Still to this day one of my favorites!! The wide wobble really pisses them off!!

Attached Files:

6667supersport, jeffm and jumbojake like this.
  2. jumbojake

jumbojake

Exelent spread captain;)

3. StClairRanger

StClairRanger

I'm going to throw some hardbaits for salmon this weekend for the first time and I'd like some advice on the best rod/reel/line/leader combo for throwing these? I have all kinds of different bass fishing and inshore setups. Would a 6'9 medium light with 20-30 lb braid and a 20 lb flouro leader work? something like that?

4. Jimbos

Jimbos Banned

Reef Runners but change out the hooks, they are garbage.

jumbojake likes this.
  5. Fishndude

Fishndude

You might land smaller Salmon with that setup, but probably not fish over 20#. With a medium/light rod, 20# braid, and with 20# leader, I would expect a big fish to either spool you, or shatter that rod. But I could be wrong. I recommend taking a backup rod, just in case.

Trout King likes this.
  6. Jimbos

Jimbos Banned

That's a pretty short rod but you never know, my personal best salmon took all of 30 seconds to land.

I hooked him and he ran directly at me and beached himself at my feet, in Tawas near the river mouth.

jumbojake likes this.
  7. RippinLipp

RippinLipp

700 series work great in the rivers!!!

Jimbos likes this.
  8. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

I hope you're not too emotionally attached to that rod as it probably won't last very long if the big boys are biting. I'd get a Medium to MH rod that's 7 to 8' long. The braid is a good idea, but you really don't need the flouro leader. Go braid straight to the lure, if they want to hit, they're going to hit regardless.

9. Cohojoe

Cohojoe

Where did you find those! I haven't seen a ping-a-tee in years. Great bait

10. kaniff89x

kaniff89x

I use fireline and if the fish hits too hard I've had them snap the line because it doesn't handle shock well, a floro or mono leader gives just enough buffer to prevent that. Never heard of powerpro doing that but I'm a fireline fan.

11. Dpricher

Dpricher

I agree with the braid not bothering the fish, but I tie a short flourcarbon leader because the rivers I fish have a lot of wood in them. When (not if) I snag on a log I can break off and don't have a long line of braid still in the river. The line will break off at the fluorocarbon knot

Fur n Fins 1982 and kaniff89x like this.
  12. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

What kind of hooks do you guys use if you swap them out on stick baits? I can't remember having many issues in the past but this year I've had a fair amount of hooks straightened and general shorts battles. Seems as soon as their headshakes break the surface I have thundersticks flying back at my face.