Salmon fishing gear on restricted water.

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by steelheadpinner, Sep 4, 2017.

1. steelheadpinner

steelheadpinner

I am not one to judge how anybody fishes, but clearly 60lb braid, treble hooks, and flies tied to do just one thing is just poor preparation. Yeah, I get it, it's tough to hook one, and then land it. But it's called fishing, not catching (or is some cases, snagging). Not everyone fits into this category, but there are many still believing that's the only way. It's not. I've seen 25lb+ fish landed with 8 to 10lb MONO. If you don't know how, ask and someone doing it will help.

These items were all attached to one fish in the river this last weekend. Not a single one (except mine) was in the mouth and 2 flies I lost to the river as I was taking them out of the belly and fins. She seemed happy when I unwound her from the mess of line wrapped around all her fins and sent her on her way. [​IMG]

This one fly had a dropper line where the user probably had lead shot attached below the hook. And you can see the size comparison to an egg fly hook. Whomever is making these, you are using the wrong hook.
    [​IMG]

By the way these were all removed from fish on a river with the increased regulations this time of year.

In addition, this was taken from the back side of another fish. [​IMG]

I've seen stick baits thrown down river and drawn up river for what purpose? To catch a fish not seeing the triple treble lure coming up from behind.

I'm sorry that the day of the "... tickler" has been banned for those thinking it's the only way. But expand your techniques a little and you will be rewarded in the end.

BDuff1234, rftech, 357Maximum and 2 others like this.
  2. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

At least ya got a couple nice walleye baits anyways.

3. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Yeah I saw quite a few people still using treble hooks (even after the ban). Very sad

4. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

Lots of trebles in use on the betsie from what i saw. Dumb snaggers dont know how to floss. :lol: :lol:

5. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

To be fair, those plugs work pretty good on kings in the river. I catch plenty of kings on thundersticks. Can't say I have ever seen a Texas rig hook with a woodpecker feather tied to it as a salmon snagging set up though.

I pulled some monster yarn ball trebles out of the Platte today too.

357Maximum likes this.
  6. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

The braid is the worst. I pulled a couple sections loose in different sections of the PM on Friday. When someone leaves it in the river, a bunch of others will lose their tackle in it.

7. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

The fish are running big this year, so 60lb braid doesn't seem unreasonable to me. ;)

Treven, jumbojake, REG and 2 others like this.
  8. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

Why is that? I cant seem to break the 50lb that some use whether its braid,mono, etc. I run 15lb braid with a 14lb mono leader.

9. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Because when guys run 30lb or better braid with a croton spider, they eventually find a log or a big enough rock that they have to cut their line. Then they leave a 40 foot piece of braid in the river that I inevitably snag with my 8lb. Get the idea? Ever try to pull a piece of heavy braid out of a snag?

I understand that good fisherman also use braid...I just hope they don't leave a bunch in the river.

fishinfever and Whitetail_hunter like this.
  10. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

I get what your saying and yea i have tried and i know how hard that can be all i was saying was braid isnt the problem heavy line is no matter what kind it may be.

11. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I broke my sage 9 weight on the first day out... boy was I mad

12. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

:Welcome: to mich sprtsmn steelheadpinner:Welcome:,and thanks for the hot bait tips and taking the time to post.

13. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Ouch

14. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Big time. But it's under warranty, just gotta send it in

15. koditten

koditten

Is Sage warranty as good as Orvis or GLoomis? I had to warranty 1 of each recently. Still cost me $100 each.

I'm done with expensive rods. I've moved over to the Cabela's Prestige brand. Their warranty is actually a fully, free replacement. These rods are very comparable to the high end ones I used to use.