Salmon fishing for the first time

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by MB.83, Aug 23, 2017.

1. MB.83

MB.83

I have yet to catch a salmon and I am going to be heading up Friday/Saturday for a trip to the betsie I think. What kind of tackle should I be bringing/how much of it because of snags etc? Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

Since you're just starting out, keep it simple. Grab some firetiger Thunderstick Jr's. and cast into any and all deep water. Use a slow retrieve and make sure to cover a lot of water.

cmueller302 and jumbojake like this.

3. Dpricher

Dpricher

I have fished a lot of the rivers in that area but the Betsie is my favorite. I have always fished there with skein and a bobber. This year I am heading there with spinners and hard baits. Been talking to several river salmon fisherman and I too am starting with fire tiger thunder sticks and blue and chrome hot and tots. If you have never been on the Betsie be safe, there are some sharp drop offs. Cover a lot of water and don't believe the guys that say they don't bite once they hit the rivers. Good luck

4. dinoday

dinoday

I'd bring several of everything you decide to bring.
    Sometimes they're up in the wood (or take you there ;) )

357Maximum likes this.
  5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

6. adam bomb

adam bomb

What do you guys run for line in the river when casting? I'm going to make a trip up to the Manistee here soon and was thinking of running 20# braid that way I could still run my steelhead sized reel but up the capacity with the thin braid. I plan on getting a lure retriever as well because I'm sure I'll be hung up plenty.

7. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

I've been running 6/20 Power Pro for years...never had a problem with it. It's a great braid that casts well.

8. adam bomb

adam bomb

Than you sir. Are you running a snap or tying direct? I'm also gonna change out the stock hooks as I know how those beasts are. I've just never river fished them.

9. Dpricher

Dpricher

Like above posts stated there is a lot of wood in many of the holes and along the banks. Landing a powerful fish like a salmon in the narrow Betsie is such a thrill! Good luck - tight lines.

adam bomb likes this.
  10. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Hopefully I will get that same thrill u are referring to in just a few days. Tight lines

Dpricher likes this.
  11. MB.83

MB.83

Thank you guys for all the input, I appreciate it greatly. How big of a spool should I have? I know these fish are much larger and you have to actually fight them but for me on the east side there's not much extra line needed for fighting a walleye or smallmouth if you know what I mean.

Are there any hook restrictions or anything like that up there?

12. nichola8

nichola8

I tie it direct, snap sometimes just get's in the way, no need to really change out plugs.

slowpaya likes this.
  13. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

I use a snap clip, but it doesn't hurt to just tie direct.

slowpaya and adam bomb like this.
  14. MB.83

MB.83

Fishing was a blast, saw a ton of fish hooked into quite a few but was unable to land any. Probably going to head back Thursday this week.
    Just bottom bounced with a bead and then a fly about 2 feet from that

15. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

:Welcome: to mich sprtsmn mb83:Welcome:

Dpricher likes this.