salmon at the mouth at oscoda

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by tneering, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Denny jr

Denny jr

WOW....didnt mean to start all that. Ralph, pay no attention to that BONEHEAD, he doesnt have the right nor the sienority to speak on you in that fashion...F-him! LOL...

Now, down to business...NO FISH WERE CAUGHT ANY DANG WAY. There just not biting yet. We will get out there though, and you are welcome on my boat ANYTIME. I dont have a schedule, Im a disabled veteran...so Im availible dam near all the time, so when you get some time and want to throw a few in the boat, hit me up, Im down!

Dad and I went out tonight and caught 0 fish yet again, but there was alot of people fishing the pier and a few boats trolling around, so the action is definatly picking up.....ALMOST TIME FELLA'S......another week or two and its on like donkey cong!!!!!!:lol:

Im sending my number to you, Ralph. Feel free to call anytime.
    -Denny:D

2. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Don't worry about it Denny, was nothing you did. I'll let you know when I'm heading up that way. Watch the sag. bay forum and you'll see some posts on the eyes for anyone interested. I post info when I catch fish, and sometimes when I don't. But I don't post every time I fish. I'm done with this thread also, so good fishing to all, and hopefully the poster realizes what he actually said. I don't hold grudges, I will even forgive him and let him net my fish if he actually ever gets out when and where I'm catching them soon:D:lol:. Good luck to everyone, now lets go fishing!

3. Denny jr

Denny jr

Ill check out the sag bay forum and see whats up.

To the post 'assailant'......now see what you did? Why would you post something like that when you dont even know the guy? You caused someone who actually enjoys this forum to LEAVE. Honestly, I dont think you should be allowed to post anymore...please take your negativity elsewhere and let us be.

-Denny

4. Steelmon

Steelmon

I've always done best at Oscoda with skein under a float, allowed to drift with the current. I haven't been there in awhile though, but I'm sure that method would stiil work well when some fish show up.
    I fished the south side but cast as far toward the north side as I could, trying to time my casts to not tee everyone off. It's difficult to drift a float with people all around you using harware, but it works better up in the current [IMO], especially if the fish are gathering in one "slot" across the width. The problem with hardware in the current is that it doesn't spend much time in the strike zone. A float ensures that your presentation will get into the slot and stay there longer.

Last fall I hit a new spot with a spinner and caught a nice fish on the first cast :D. I made a few quartering casts after that and noticed that the bottom came up very fast, on both sides, from where I hooked the fish. By the time my lure sank deep enough and started working properly, it was only in the strike zone for a couple seconds. I tried casting farther upstream, to get down sooner, but that put me in the snags. I switched to a float and spawn. I let it drift right along the slot where I hooked the first fish and I hooked 4 more in a short period. Just food for thought.

5. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

We used to just light them up on skein at the Au Sable mouth, but off the pier. On flat days, bobber/skein; rough water, slip sinker rig. We'd use big bags as well, kinda switch it up. I didn't post at the time, but we had some days out on the north with skein that were just sick(70+ fish). I've never seen another port where they run skein in the lake off the pier. That kind of action is a memory in Oscoda now, but you can still pick up a few fish. This time of year was when it would fire up good or anytime the fish started staying shallow throughout the day. As far as casting goes, these days, just keep putting your time in, it's a completely different game then 6-7 years ago(the last decent fishing).

6. friZZleFry419

friZZleFry419

So does anyone know if you can get out on the north peir yet?

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

You can almost always get out on the north pier, if you have a boat. Heck, I once rowed a boat from the dock where the commerical fishing boat is, out to the pier, tied up to a ladder and fished, and then rowed back up to the launch next to that commercial boat. It wasn't too tough, but I got a lot of strange looks when I was rowing back upstream 1/4 mile. Back then it was worth it to row out and back to fish that pier.

I will add that I used to see anglers get stuck out there in bad weather quite a bit. The weather would creep in, and by the time they realized it was too rough to get off, they were stuck. That was before cell phones, and someone always had to call the Coasties to come rescue them. The rescue team had to come up from Tawas, and the weather wasn't good - which is what caused the problem in the first place, and sometimes it took awhile for the rescue crew to arrive. I have vacated that pier just before it got too rough to get off, before. It was exciting to say the least.

8. friZZleFry419

friZZleFry419

well i dont have a boat.

9. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

You couldn't pay me enough to get me to walk out on the north pier.

10. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

I know they don't all have a pier, but....HB,PA, and Harrisville, all fished well w/spawn and bobber. First light was always hotbite.

11. friZZleFry419

friZZleFry419

fished last night into the morning . Seen 1 salmon landed . small. other than that seen cats and and a dog:dizzy::rant::dizzy:. bottom fished big stanky bags off the end and casted probably 800 times had 2 slams at about 130. then around 230 bam :xzicon_sm hooked something heavy , heavy enough it felt like salmon, But looked like a 15lb kitty:smile-mad...8hrs i was spent . good luck, good riddance, and goodbye!