Safety line /life line

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johnhunter247, Oct 21, 2020.

1. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

Good thread John, I think a lot of us have taken foolish risks hanging and climbing into stands. With the equipment available today there is no excuse for us to not hunt in a safer more responsible way.

2. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

Hanging stands is not the same issue of using stands.

Use a buddy system when hanging stands.

To either have your buddy give you advice,

Or call 911.

Same as with aggressive chain-sawing of big trees for habitat work...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

3. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

I think you're right re ladder stands. First of all, they're better secured, you don't have the stress and weight bearing down on the ratchet or chain like you do with a hang-on. Even if the ratchet's strength is compromised, there's very little pressure on it to cause it to break. I've cut ladderstand ratchets from the top and still have been able to balance and get down without falling. There's also no chain or wire connecting the platform that can fail. Those wires will definitely fail if they aren't carefully maintained. People probably get a little overconfident with ladderstands and neglect to protect themselves on ascents and descents, but they are definitely safer from an inherent danger perspective.

I only hunt ladderstands, box blinds, and from the ground with my ghillie suit these days. I had too many concussions when I was younger to take chances. I have lifelines set up on all my ladderstands.

DM90, Boardman Brookies and Osceola like this.
  4. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

I don't know how you'd hang a stand without a lineman's belt. I would have rubber arms if I tried that.

DM90 and Lightfoot like this.
  5. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I hung from my saddle last spring to top a pine tree near the house that needed to come down and maxed out around 40 feet. I did the work on a calm day and still had too much sway to deal with. To each their own I guess.

I use a saddle with a lineman belt and and two short double looped static lines, one as a spare. I imagine in a fall that the lineman belt would snag on a climbing stick, knot on the tree or something, but on a smooth tree with no branches to deal with I want something that already grabs, hence the double looped static line.

I love the roperman and have a love hate relationship with pursik knots. As such, I used the roperman on the lineman belt and the pursik on my static line to hook my bridge into. The lineman belt length is changed often, the static line for my bridge, not so much.

I would think that a dedicated full height static line per stand would probably be the easiest and safest. Not the cheapest. I have seen video on how to leave paracord at each stand and use that to raise your static line but no idea where I saved it.

I like to use https://www.knotandrope.com/

DM90 likes this.
  6. John Hine

John Hine

Maybe a parachute would be easier??

7. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Get some climbing rope. I use 50 off Sterling oplux for my climbing and rappeling down. IMG_20201014_172110349.jpg

8. Slimits

Slimits

Is the ropeman easier to use than prusic? Seems it would clang around ladders

9. brushbuster

As Lightfoot mentioned, hang a preset paracord and pull your lifeline up.Attach a retrieve line to it and pull the lifeline down when you are done.

10. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

Much easier and it’s connected to one carabiner. Can adjust one handed with ease. Definitely worth it.

DM90, MichiFishy and brushbuster like this.
  11. brushbuster

Yeah the rope man is easier you can use a Schwabisch hitch and a hitch tender. That is fairly simple to use. IMG_20201013_184419854.jpg

DM90 and U of M Fan like this.
  12. Hoytman5

Hoytman5

Maybe the D-bag that stole your camera? Saw something good on your card and decided to be your neighbor.

13. Does the weather ruin these ropes? Are they unsafe after one season if being left attached to a tree for 3 or 4 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

This is the first year I went with a lineman belt and saftey rope.
    Wow I have been an idiot for many years. It was so much easier putting up the stick, and hanging the stand.
    Now if I can remember to unhook when I get down, before I try to walk away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. mbrewer

mbrewer

Safety is important and I appreciate the lengths some will go to achieve it. But, when I see these 35' high stands, the name brand rope recommendations and jargon I wonder WTF are these people?

Osceola likes this.