Safety line /life line

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johnhunter247, Oct 21, 2020.

1. So I always hunt from 30 to 35 feet. I have been looking at these life lines. I always climb into my stand and then secure myself to the tree with my harness before pulling up my weapon. I like the idea of being secured the entire time from when I leave the ground. Especially with my injuries to my legs. Sometimes I lose feeling and go to step and there is no feeling and I fall down. I’m worried about that happening while climbing the tree. None of these companies that sell the lifeline set ups make a line long enough for my hunting set ups. If I’m hooked to it while in the tree standing up and it’s above my head as high as I can reach I’m guessing I need every bit of a 45’ to 50’ safety line. None of the companies offer that. Has anyone made it themselves? If so what type of rope should you use? Style? Thickness? Accessories needed?Any experience or advise would help. With my leg situation I think it’s just a matter of time before it happens so I’m thinking I want to get this done ASAP before I hunt again.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsmanj

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    motdean likes this.
  2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I went to a store that specialized in hiking/climbing and they had rope that could be cut to length needed

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Utube is your friend .

CHASINEYES, Sparky23 and Sam22 like this.
  4. I have stands that high also. I at one time found extra ling ones for sale and bought two. If you can't order one you can easily make one from 8 or 11 mm accessory cord. As mentioned above there are plenty of youtube tutorials on how to tie a Prussik knot. Maybe even get fancy and use an ascender instead. Make sure you buy the line at a store that sells climbing gear, not a hardware or a big box store. It's going to cost as much or more to buy the line off a reel there as it would be to order one already made.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Wespur.com

Tons of arborist gear and usually at your door within 7 days.

6. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

How the heck do you get decent bow shots from that high up?

You need static climbing rope. Are you using a lineman's belt to climb now? I would never climb a tree, especially that high, without being attached to the tree.

7. I attach once I get on my platform of the tree stand before I do anything else. When I climb I’m not attached. But I definitely want to be with my leg injury situation. I have always hunted that high. Never been caught by a mature buck yet and I can make quite a few more mistakes a d get away with it that you can’t at 20’. I normally don’t have an issue recovering deer after the shot. I’ve been pretty successful from those heights. When I hunt from stands 20’ or less I just don’t feel confident I can get it done if the opportunity presents itself. One of the benefits is lots of guys on state land won’t consider hunting my stand because of the height. But they sure don’t mind setting up On top of me. I went out Tuesday morning and found someone set up a stand about 50 yds away from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky23 and U of M Fan like this.
  8. bigal06

bigal06

I would suggest a dynamic climbing rope versus the static. A dynamic rope will have a little stretch to it lessening the blow if you do fall. Any 10-11mm dynamic climbing rope will work. They can be had at any number of hiking/backpacking type stores.

bowhunter1 and johnhunter247 like this.
  9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Get yourself arborist rope for each stand location plus attach a rope grab to your safety harness lanyard. As you know safety is no accident. Suspension trauma is also a possibility.

10. I’m going to google that. I’ve never heard of a rope grab

Hungry Wolf likes this.
  11. skipper34

skipper34

I went to West Marine and bought black 1/2 inch braided dock line and made my own.

12. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

With a treestand application, you're going to be tied in pretty close to the connection, and will only fall a few feet. I want the prussik to grip ASAP, and don't want any give or bouncing, so I go with static. Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference though. Static ropes are usually cheaper.

DM90 likes this.
  13. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

Yeesh! I'd get some lifelines ASAP, and use a lineman's belt in the meantime. You are gambling with your life. 65% of falls are during ascent or descent of the tree.

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/...ve percent of falls,body sites in each victim.

14. Jiw275

Jiw275

Do take time to research suspension trauma. And take the time to determine if you can self rescue.

You can buy suspension harness relief straps to help self rescue if hanging from your harness.

bowhunter1 and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  15. If I’m suspended from a fall I should be able to grab onto my climbing sticks. I always have a climbing stick above the platform of the stand so I can step down into the platform. Plus it comes in handy to hang my back pack on and have all of my stuff accessible right next to me