S&W questions

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by Sampsons_owner, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

I have 2 S&W revolvers that I would like more info on.

First is a model 66 Serial number starts with AJW ####

Second is a Model 29-2 Serial number 837####.

Any help in aging these would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

The guys at the Smith & Wesson forums would know. A few links come up to search serial numbers.

Gunbroker should have a few for sale too, sometimes the descriptions have historical information mixed in.

sgc likes this.

3. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Older S&W revolvers had the serial # stamped only on the butt, not on the part of the frame that the crane covers. The number you gave for the model 66 doesn't sound like a serial #.

4. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Something is really off with the serial numbers you've provided. In 1957 S & W dropped the name "44 Magnum" and began using the letter/number designation "M29". In 1962 it became the "M29-1" and later that year "M29-2". The "M29-2" designation lasted until 1983 when it was changed to "M29-3". Serial numbers for N frame revolvers, which yours is, began with the letter "S" thru 1969/1970 and during those years gradually changed over to an "N" prefix. Your serial number should begin with either an "S" or an "N". However....

You post 837#### - that's one to many digits. I at first thought you were mis-reading S37#### but there was never an S serial number that high. The highest "S" serial number was S333454. There was probably an N37#### but that wouldn't have been a M29-2 which you say yours is - that would make it a M29-3. I would take a closer look at both the serial number and the model designation.

Your M66 is the stainless steel version of the M19 Combat Magnum and was produced from 1970 - 2004. The serial number should either begin with a "K" or have a "K" somewhere in the serial number. "AJW####" is most likely an assembly number which was meant to keep parts for each particular handgun together during the assembly process.

The above was taken from my copy of "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" Supica/Nahas.

Hope this helps.

9mm Hi-Power

Petronius likes this.
  5. sgc

sgc

2 x the S&W forum. Those guys live and breath S&W.

6. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

Sampsons_owner,

Since it looks like you may confused about the serial numbers on the handguns, I wonder which numbers the handguns are registered under. You should take a look at any papers you have, old safety inspection cards, copy of purchase permit, or the RI-060 Pistol Sales Record.
    Maybe you could submit a Pistol Record Request to the Firearm Records Unit of the Michigan State Police. That would tell you if any of these numbers are valid.

RI-147 Pistol Record Request

9mm Hi-Power likes this.
  7. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Something the state does must check these #s. Once I bought a model 66 from a local gun store. The store had filled in the wrong number, and the local police asked me to bring in the gun to get the right number. Another time a different FFL holder that handled my purchase of an out of state pre-model 10 did the same thing. That time I caught it before turning in the paper work, and again the local police wanted to see the gun to get the serial #.

Petronius likes this.
  8. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

First off thanks for all the info. The model 66 was one my late dad had long ago. I recently found some old papers of his and in it was a Safety inspection card. I know he sold the gun but I do not have the sellers card.

The 44 mag is a blued 6 inch model that I have and it is a S371### serial number. The box it came in was for a 29-2 but I dont think its the original box. This one I purchased from a friend of my fathers and I took in for the safety inspection to the county I then lived in. I have already reached out to the county I live in now to get this corrected.

Thanks again, Steve.

Petronius likes this.
  9. 9mm Hi-Power

Not to belabor this but....the highest "S" serial number that S & W used was S333454. After that they went to an "N" prefix. How are you measuring the barrel length ? It should be measured from the front end of the barrel to the beginning of the forcing cone (with the cylinder out of the frame) - where the face of the cylinder "almost" abuts against the barrel. S & W did not put 6" barrels on the M29 until 1979 almost 9 years after discontinuing the "S" prefix on serial numbers and going over to a "N" prefix. In 1979 S & W stopped putting 6 1/2" barrels on the M29 and went to a 6" barrel.

9mm Hi-Power

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  10. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

No worries 9mm. Have you ever heard dyslexia is a wonderful thing? How about S317###. And yes it's a 6 1/2 inch barrel. I won't repeat the comment my wife made about men and measuring things. Lol

Petronius likes this.
  11. 9mm Hi-Power

But wait there's more -
    You're M29 was made 1968/1969 and it is undoubtedly a 29-2. What are the stocks like ? From the mid-1950s to the late 1960s S & W put on some of their N-frames - especially the .41 and .44 Magnums a style of stocks that have become known as "Coke Bottle Stocks." When viewed from the back "Cokes" vaguely resemble the Coca-Cola bottles of that time period hence their nickname and they have a bit of a palm swell. . These stocks are extremely collectible and a pair in really good condition $400.00 - $600.00.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.25.00 PM.png

9mm Hi-Power

12. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

I do have 2 sets of S&W grips. One is dark like yours but smooth and one is lighter but checkered. My guess is we put pachmayr grips on both the 29 and the 66. Somehow I ended up with both original grips. Any idea what 66 grips go for? I also have as presentation wooden box but the inside is in rough shape.

13. 9mm Hi-Power

Colt handguns have grips, S & W handguns have stocks. I don't keep up as much with this sort of thing as I used to but I would say offhand that the S & W stocks that are most desirable from a collector's standpoint are those prior to the stainless steel era. For a variety of reasons many of these are more collectible and thus more valuable than others.

The stainless steel revolvers, while certainly functional, do not have much character - much like the hordes and hordes of black plastic pistols - cheap and functional but not much else you can say about them.

9mm Hi-Power