S&W Model 16-3

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by dalejiw25, Apr 10, 2013.

1. dalejiw25

dalejiw25

Just wondering if this gun is of any value ?? It is marked as a 16-3,
    Serial# K928XXX Chambered in .38 Special with a 4" barrel. It is Blue and All original. Very good condition. I'm probably going to purchase it regardless, Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. cedarlkDJ

cedarlkDJ proud to be a....... Premium Member

3. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Well...something is really out of whack here. Smith & Wesson's Model 16 prior to 1957 was known as the K-32 Masterpiece and was first chambered for the .32 S & W Long. In 1957 it became the Model 16 and in 1989 it was chambered for the .32 H & R Magnum. The M16 was never chambered for the .38 Special according to: Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Supica/2006.

If it is in fact a .38 Special it is probably a K-38 Combat Masterpiece which in 1957 became known as the M15. Your K frame S&W, caliber notwithstanding, was manufactured in 1969 which could make it a M15-3. Photos are always a good idea. There is a big difference in value between a M16 and a M15 with the M16 on the very high side. Hope this helps.

Just curious what is the asking price? "Very good condition" has little meaning. The condition of most firearms and especially S & W revolvers is best described as to what percentage of the original finish (on metal and stocks) remains e.g. 98%. Again, please post a photo or two or three or four if possible.

Hoppe's no.10

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  4. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

And .32 S&W long is rarer than hens teeth even in good times, and costs a small fortune......

5. dalejiw25

dalejiw25

Thanks all. This will be my first S&W. It has some very light wear on the wheel as to be expected from a gun of its age. I fired a dozen rounds through it the other day and grouped a 2" bulls-eye at 25' out of the box. An Absolutely awesome piece it is. I couldn't find anything not to like about it. It will be mine this weekend. I will post pics as soon as possible.

6. 9mm Hi-Power

Sounds like you have a winner - as are most S & Ws' - but be careful with your checkbook as they can be addictive - my M19 Combat Magnum that I shoot in competition:

[​IMG].

The "...light wear on the wheel..." you mention is generally referred to as "...the turn ring on the cylinder" and
    S & Ws' have "stocks" not "grips" ;).

Here's a photo of a 4" Combat Masterpiece that I pulled off a website:

[​IMG].

Is this what you have? If you look closely you can see a light turn ring on the cylinder and a bit of holster wear on the muzzle.

Hoppe's no. 10

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. dalejiw25

dalejiw25

Hey 9mm that pic of the 4" Combat Masterpiece is the exact gun I am purchasing. Thanks.

8. dalejiw25

dalejiw25

It is indeed a 15-3 Combat Masterpiece. It is in near mint condition and I grabbed it for $200. Here's some pics. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. 9mm Hi-Power

$200.00 :yikes: - you stole it. I would think it's an easy $350.00 - $400.00 gun perhaps more if one's willing to wait for the right buyer. Nice colors on the hammer and trigger. You did very well for a S & W newbie.

Hoppe's no.10

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  10. dalejiw25

dalejiw25

Any thoughts on +P rounds for this gun ?? I plan to keep it and do not want to tear it up, Not a perfect choice for CC but not ruling it out either(Winter months under heavy clothing etc...). I have a Ruger LCR in .38+P I carry daily and would like to stick with one ammo if possible. Thanks.