S&W 34-1 value?

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by Hoyt11, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hoyt11

Hoyt11

Anyone know what a s&w 34-1 with a 4" barrel is going for now a days?

2. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Older Smith & Wesson revolvers are very desirable and can be very collectible. In 1957 S & W's .22/.32 Kit Gun became the M34. In 1966 there were some engineering changes and the M34 became the M34-1. This designation continued until 1988 when it became the M34-2. Production ceased in 1991. Without at least the first four digits of the gun's serial number it's hard to tell exactly how old your 34-1 is.

When selling an older S & W condition is everything as in EVERYTHING. You provide very little info. that would be helpful in determining it's value: is it blue or nickel? Does it have the original stocks? Do you have any ancillary items - box, tools, paper etc.? These all affect the value to one degree or another but the single most important determinant of value is the condition - generally given in terms of a percent of the original condition - 98%. , 90% etc.. If you could post some clear photos I would be more than happy to try and give you a ballpark estimate of value.

From the S & W forum:

This M34-1 was purchased in Feb. of last year at a gun show with the original box, tools etc. for $400.00:

[​IMG].

Those who replied to the post thought the guy had gotten a pretty good deal, one even said he got a $100.00 discount. From reading other posts it would seem that M34s (1, 2) in 95% plus and without tools, box etc. go for about $400.00.

Remember a seller's 95% is a buyer's 90%.

Hoppe's no.10

3. Hoyt11

Hoyt11

It looks Just like the one pictured (haven't taken any pictures yet) orginal grips no box or tools.. Will get pictures and #'s this evening.

Just got #'s .... m1834xx

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. 9mm Hi-Power

With that serial # I would say your gun's DOB would be between 1969 and 1971, probably somewhere about in the middle. Anxious to see some photos. Out of curiosity how do you know it still carries the original stocks? And for what it's worth...S & Ws' have "stocks", Colts' have "grips" :dizzy:. Just like the piece that connects the cylinder to the frame and swings out of the frame is a "yoke" on a S & W but a "crane" on a Colt :dizzy::dizzy:.

Hoppe's no.10

5. WoW.

WoW.

Thats because Colts even run their cylinder backashwards...:lol:

6. Happy Jack

Happy Jack

I have 1 that was my Grandfathers. I would say pretty much orig condition, blueing is worn thin on the very tip ( 1/8 in ) of barrel from the holster which I also have. # c394485. No tools but the box says April 15, 1955. Hand written price on box is $55.80 A little different from the pic, S W trademark is on right side and theres a 3/4 in diamond where the stock screw is, sights and trigger guard are also smaller. Box says 38 military & police revolver.

7. 9mm Hi-Power

You undoubtedly have a S & W Military & Police .38 Special revolver that was made sometime between 1954/1956 which kind of jives with what you say is written on the box...however I suspect that the writing of "April 15, 1955" , on the box, probably has more to do with someone who perhaps bought the gun on that date as opposed to factory lettering. I've never heard of S & W putting dates like the above on their handgun boxes - or for that matter any date on their box labels. For what it's worth S & W, for whatever reason, did not always ship handguns in serial number/chronological sequence. Again for whatever reason it is not uncommon for a S & W handgun that according to it's serial # was made in 1957 but not shipped out of the factory till 1959 :confused:.

If you're really interested in a factory history of your family S & W for $50.00 and a bit of patience you can get a factory letter telling you exactly when your handgun left the factory, to whom it was shipped and the barrel length, factory chambering etc. of the handgun.

The S & W Military & Police was the company's "bread and butter" revolver which became the Model 10 in 1957 when S & W went to numerical designations for their handguns. S & W made untold "kazillion" M&P/M10s and they are by no means rare...but still collectible depending on a number of factors. Does the box have the serial # on it?

Not to be smarmy but a handgun that has muzzle wear is, from a collector's perspective not "...pretty much orig condition..." . How about a photo or two or three? It sounds like you have a really nice S & W with a family history and something that you value.

This is my S & W Military & Police which left the factory in 1948:

[​IMG]. *

Hoppe's no.10

* And puleeeze... I've been trashed on other forums for this photo as in: "Great photo...bad message."

This is a ca. 1940s "mood" photo and certainly not meant to advocate the mixing of handguns and booze. I hope we're all adults here and can recognize that.

8. Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Thanks for the info. The April 15, 1955 date is press printed under the lid of the box under the warranty info which is under the STATEMENT OF LABILITY. The serial # is hand written in pencil on the bottom of the box. 10 yrs on this site and I have never posted a pic but with my granddaughters help maybe we can :lol: