Ruger single six convertable question.

Discussion in 'RimFire Guns' started by Mr. 16 gauge, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge

Looking for experience from those who have owned one; Always wanted one......never had the opportunity. Thinking of selling off some of my collection now, and getting one. Just curious as to whether or not the revolver is just as accurate with the .22 mag cylinder as with the .22LR cylinder......or if the gun is accurate at all. Looking to use it for a small game hunting gun. Thanks for your input.

2. F. Thompson

F. Thompson

We bought a Ruger single six in 1971, our first hand gun. We have shot thousands of rounds thru it. Taught both my son's how to handle a handgun safely with it. Can't begin to count how many rabbits and squirrels we took over the years. This revolver shot both .22 LR and .22 mag the same. You won't be disappointed

Old Man likes this.

3. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

My dad has one. Very fun to shoot for plinking or small game. Pretty accurate, I’d fee confident taking up to a 15yard shot on a live target. Maybe further with some more practice

4. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I have been hunting and target shooting with one for years. Both LR and Mag function perfectly for me.

Old Man and Nostromo like this.
  5. GSPHunter

GSPHunter

My dad has one of the original 3 screw models from back in the day. It is unbelievably accurate. But like his the convertible sold at Cabela's or alike does not come with adjustable sights. I am in the same boat, i would like a new single six, but after some thought realized i wouldn't use the magnum cylinder much and the grip finish/quality on the convertible was not to my liking once i had one in hand. I figured paying for adjustable sights (~$60) and new grips wasn't worth spending the money on the convertible and then not using the magnum cylinder to boot. I am looking more into the Single Nine or Single Ten now, they come with adjustable sights and much better looking/quality grips not to mention more shot capacity. Just my .02

6. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

189.JPG
    I like mine and I think the fit and finish are really nice. Maybe I just got lucky?

fivegunner likes this.
  7. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

My problem with most of them is that my hands are too big. I finally replaced the grips on my 30 blackhawk and now I can shoot much better groups. Should have done it years ago.

8. GSPHunter

GSPHunter

Did you upgrade the sights and Grips? The convertible i handled at Cabela's was very basic looking. Wood grips looked very plain and cheap and the gun had fixed sights.

9. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

No that's how she came. Around $400.00 I believe from Michi-gun in Saint Claire Shores.

junkman and GSPHunter like this.
  10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I have had one since my serious trapping days and it has been great. I had a range setup at my house and a lot of people have shot here with their carry guns and everyone has shot better with my ruger than with their own carry gun. Mine rides in the console of my truck and has killed just about everything around the farm.

11. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

You were more than likely looking at the Ruger "Wrangler" its a lower priced version with fixed sights...https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

Like any 22 LR or 22 WMR most have a ammo preference .....

12. old graybeard

old graybeard

I love mine. It's a centennial model with a 9 inch barrel. I replaced the grips with a set of pachmeyrs.

13. Red Wagon

Red Wagon

I thought the same. Turns out there doesn't seem to be a difference. I thought the magnum would be more accurate than the .22 LR. My ist one had a 41/2" barrel. New one has a 61/2 " barrel. Well made firearms.Both of mine have adjustable rear sights. Some guys replace them with fiber optic.