Ruger American or Winchester XPR 350 Legend

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by buck snort, Aug 11, 2020.

1. buck snort

buck snort

I agree love that it’s made in the USA!!! That’s why I ended up getting the Ruger American go wild.

2. buck snort

buck snort

I went with the go wild in the 350 Legend

3. BUSTA'YOTE

BUSTA'YOTE

Nice looking rifle, but that is obviously a .450 Bushmaster, not a .350 Legend that the OP was asking about? At least the ammo you posted in the first pic is .450 Bushmaster 250 grain. The 165 grain .350 Legend uses a lot sleeker ogive FTX bullet with a much smaller flex-tip.

Hornady Custom .350 Legend 165 gr FTX the left, Custom .450 Bushmaster 250 gr FTX on the right.

IMG_20200813_204140089.jpg

4. Ken

Ken

More than MOA capable

MOA PROVEN

5. Tactical Assist

Tactical Assist

Yes, mine is the 450. I use Hornady BushMaster 250g FTX
    I my self wanted a bigger hitting bullet for deer hunting

I’m sorry I miss understood, I took it as he was asking about the Ruger 450 or the Winchester XPR 350 Legend

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    BUSTA'YOTE likes this.
  6. BUSTA'YOTE

BUSTA'YOTE

You got a good one, for sure. Good luck with it this fall.

Tactical Assist likes this.
  7. Tactical Assist

Tactical Assist

B92E5FA1-3D09-4097-B409-4FC83F5C84DF.jpeg 0D4A0FCE-4EB5-4F59-8DC1-BAAE36D4D6C8.jpeg

First pic
    When I shot at 200 yards I set my scope 3clicks past the 2 (200 yards) made the first shot. Wanted to see if my scope was spot on.
    Seen the shot was a little high due to where I dial the scope in and my human error of Flinching.

Second pic
    Set the scope on 2 Which represented 200 yards (sighted in at 100yards) the next two shots bull’s-eye the next to a little low very happy with the Leopold bushmaster scope, spot on

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Bobby072 and kisherfisher like this.
  8. peacemaker68

peacemaker68

I just bought an XPR a few days ago. I love it! To me, it feels like a much stronger build. Great action as well. The Ruger just feels a touch cheaper. Both great guns, but I would go with the Winchester.

9. johndeere506

johndeere506

I bought the Ruger for my kids, since it fit my oldest the best. It was the shortest LOP. It shoots well and he likes it, so Im getting used to it. I did like the XPR better, but the youth model was too long LOP. Really it seems like a good gun, but that magazine is ridiculous.... Ive been loading singles since the mag is silly.

10. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

Ruger went to those Mags because it was the cheap route. The mags are rebranded CMMG and Duramag 10 round mags that limit their capacity to 5 by coiling 2+inches of extra spring wire in it solid. This puts undue pressure against the bottom of the bolt when cycling in both the AR platform as well as the bolt guns and makes it cycle roughly as well as poor feeding. Another problem with using these junk mags is that it severely limits the OAL to book loads at best and denies the bolt gun owner the ability to handload beyond AR pressures.
    If buying a 350L, I would go with a Savage which allows ample room and to let the chamber determine your OAL for best accuracy instead of shooting with .25" or more of jump..
    I am getting sub MOA groups in my 2 Savages with Hornady 170's @ 2550fps and no pressure signs. There is more to be had above 2600fps but this is where I found the best accuracy.
    It equates to a trajectory of +1.9"@100yds and -2.0"@ 200yds. At 300 yds it still exceeds 900 ft lbs of KE(recommended deer min) just like the 450BM but with much less drift, higher impact velocity and above all, half the recoil. FWIW I am using a 22" barrel, but my 18" Savage Axis chrono's them 70 fps less at 2480fps. and is much faster pointing..

11. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

If you want to FIX the Ruger mags, simply take mag apart, stretch out about 3 of the top coils of the "solid wound spacer stack" and cut the rest of the solid stack off. Reassemble and test. If you need more support, stretch out the coils more. If you want less, compress them a bit.
    Night and day in both my Ruger Bolt gun and Ruger AR(which wouldn't barely feed the first round it was so tight when fully loaded).
    The American was first to market and I tested waay back last year. It would put 3 inside 2" @200yds..nut I hated that magazine. If you handload, do as I do and send it down the road for a Savage or Winchester..heck even a Mossberg..

12. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

I do think the Ruger Ranch is great for kids so don't get me wrong there..The Savage Axis is better though as not only shoots better, but the regular version has 13.5" LOP with a removable 1" spacer, taking you to the same as everyone's compact youth model without having to find a diff rifle /stock in a few years..Just twice the gun for a lot less money. The Winchester XPR is nice feeling looking, but again should be as it's nearly double the price...and made in Portugal, I've yet to see/hear of an American or XPR that outshoots the much cheaper Savages..

13. Bobby072

Bobby072

Good looking set up.
    Looks like you set it up like a girl for a photo op. got the leupold cover in place, a box with live round next to with, some white paper for better contrast. :)

14. Bobby072

Bobby072

Nice shooting Tex, 200 yards you have to have a nice scope and steady rest to pull that off.

15. Tactical Assist

Tactical Assist

Txs!
    Yes sir, the scope is a Leopold BushMaster scope and a brand new shooting bench I made using a rifle rest

Bobby072 likes this.