close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Roost ?????

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Wall-llard Willie, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

Been a water waterfowler all my life......
    We've decided to start field hunting this year after multiple guided hunts with little success and a fair amount of $$ spent on hunts. Decided to take that $$ and put it into a field spread.

Just got sole access to a farm that's never been hunted, its 350 acres with a 40 acre spring fed roosting pond. (talk about lucky)
    WE WONT SHOOT THE ROOST!!!!!!
    Question is how close is too close to the roost, we're told the spot they like in a particular field and its probably 300 yrds from the pond separated by some woods. I'm thinking that's far enough away, is it?????

2. craigrh13

craigrh13

3. lastflight

lastflight

300 yards is pretty close. I would only hunt that close with a fairly strong wind blowing from the roost. You will be shooting away from the roost and the wind will keep the sound to a minimum.
    I have a similar spot but the water is the morning transition slough. The ducks will fly right over my field set and hit the water first thing in the morning. They then trickle out in small groups. If the sound of my shots at the first group disturb the slough, game over.

4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We hunt next to a golf course, 300-400 yards max. We try not to cut into the big flocks and shoot a lot at first light, but we've watched birds come in, taken a couple, and watched the rest wing back to a pond, only to come back later after we've shot at other groups. 300 yards should be safe.

Wall-llard Willie likes this.
  5. craigrh13

craigrh13

We hunted a field closer to a roost than 300 yards during the late season for multiple days and had zero issues. They just kept coming and we kept killing them.

6. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Personally I think that's pretty close, but it's still manageable. Geese around us hear any shooting close to where they're feeding and when they get up to feed they use another field they generally don't sit in. Won't even give us a look when we're out there. Next day when we aren't hunting said field, they're back in it. Ducks I think you can get away with more. Either way, have fun and shoot em up!

Wall-llard Willie likes this.
  7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

The best bet is to hunt it when the wind is coming from the roost, this will cut down on the report traveling toward it. Stiffer the wind the better. The hardwoods between the fields and the roost will help also.

Shoot the smaller groups, this will keep the birds around longer.

How many birds are using the roost? If it's 50 or so birds I wouldn't sweat it.

8. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

If you only shoot the birds in the dekes (locked and committed) and refrain from any birds that may be low and close but are heading out somewhere else you should be fine...

If you pretend the pond is the refuge and you are hunting the field outside the refuge.... you should be fine... that means driving up and checking if the birds are there probably isn't a good idea.... the less you disturb them the better... park you vehicles well out of site and try to hunt different parts of the farm and with different set-ups... all this should help...

Good luck.... welcome to the comfort of field hunting....

9. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

We have only been to the pond twice, once about 2 months ago in the mid morning to check out depths/access/cover for duck hunting no birds were on it then and just last weekend from 6-7:30pm. My buddy stopped counting/lost count at 150 that came in to roost.
    We have access to the farmed fields from the total opposite side of the farm and plan on accessing fields from that side.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!!!!