Roger's Perch Rod Build.

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Skinner 2, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Finally met up and setting in to start the rod build. Went through the order and all componets were there. Seperated out what was needed.

Explained the spine and how to find it. Marked the spine on a piece of tape to align the reel seat and eyes ( later date).

Using rat tail files the handle was fitted to the rod, then expoxied in place per the spine.

The blank is super light in weight. 7 foot long light action fast tip. Feels like plenty of back bone to handle the ocassional sheephead or cat.

Showed several rods I made from my jigging rod, 8 foot ultralights, 9 foot surf casting and 10 1/2 steelhead noodle rods. Many wrapping patterns to choose from... think Roger will be seeing patterns in his sleep tonight.

Off subject a bit.... Talking with Roger we keep running into common people... he mentioned a deer being shot and a guy helping him retrive the deer... I know the guy...

Then he tells me about his first big buck up north killed on his buddies place.. how sad it was when his buddy sold it.... talked about a small trout stream, cabin and a bridge.... I know the property.... a friend on mine's father bought it...

Tonight when he pulled in he say's I was at this house before.. garage sale... seems a friend of his told him about my garage sale....I know that friend and hw was also at my sale...

Tonight Rogers talking about a house in Wyandotte and the old guy that lived there... model trains ... more Roger talked the more puzzled my dad was looking... my dad finished talking about the train set-up. Then a mention of a big home made telescope in the back yard... ended up it was my mothers uncle's house... now Roger's friend owns it..

Here's the compleated handle and thread for the wrappings. Rogers homework is filing down the eye feet to allow smooth transition of the thread wrappings...
    20200729_205104.jpg

For some reason my camera sure changes the thread colors. Those are actually quite bright and the middle very purple...

To be continued.........

2. BBBYpsi

BBBYpsi

Good stuff Ron.

3. 50incher

50incher

I love the long rods for Perch, if your on a weed bed or edge, ya can "reach" around a bit, without moving, lol....don't like always having to break em back down to 2 pieces, though & a nice Smallie is a blast on those rods !....

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  4. rough water

rough water

So much fun to build!

5. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

I use 9' bnm crapy rods super sensitive, plus you can sneak in someone else's spot on the boat why the rebaiting.

6. 50incher

50incher

:D....yeah, I have some 9' Okuma Connnoisseur ??? rods from Northwoods....2-8lb test & love em....6' can make all the difference, lol !!....cheers....

7. roger15055

roger15055

Well I bought a dremel tool to do the filing on the eyelets. I think they look pretty good for my first time. I know Ron will go Hmmmm well let’s touch these up a little and Ray will say something like well did you put the rock back in the garden you were using to file these down:oops:. The adventure and education continue lol.

8. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Roger, I know thats in jest but could be very near the truth. Lol

We will see.

roger15055 likes this.
  9. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Roger came over after work to get srarted on his rods eyes. Before weveven startwd my wife brough him a small plate of broiled walleye and home made chips.

He did a good job prepping them. We got them measured out and taped on.

For a first time were doing a fairly fancy wrap. Lots of loose end and pulling loops hanging around.

I tried using some of the painters tape.. never again for this. Darn eyes kept moving around.

We got 3 eyes done and called it a evening...
    20200806_202418.jpg

TK81 and roger15055 like this.
  10. roger15055

roger15055

Yes we are making progress!!! And I did a tiny bit and building a rod is not like watching a video on YouTube. But having said that that dinner was out of this world!!! How in the Heck can someone with that cooking ability not at least have a little weight problem:(. I am really looking forward to doing the other eyes and been sending the pictures of the build to friends and so many keep saying I can’t believe you didn’t use more of the Harley orange! Oh but little do they know Ron has a master plan for the orange to make it pop. Me why I am a excellent tape man and rod holder:D

Skinner 2 likes this.
  11. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Let me know when your ready and rested up to do the next eyes.

Maybe dad will be there for more criticizing... LMAO

roger15055 likes this.
  12. roger15055

roger15055

HaHa yeah he says well I could always lend a hand!! I love Rons cooking. You need to join our pistol club so you can feast on his home cooking!!!

13. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Dad come by looked at the rod as said thats it.... What the heck did you do all that time. Whats taking long....

Lmao.

roger15055 likes this.
  14. roger15055

roger15055

Oh I had a feeling something was going to be said!! That’s to funny and I said to him do one for me. I knew when he said his fingers didn’t feel like it he had to leave the door open for criticism :p

15. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Roger came buy with some donuts this moring and we did some additional work on his rod.

All eyes are on it now and the diamond butt wrap. Need to finish off the butt wrap and add the keeper eye. Messed with a couple different sized reels to check the balance. You would be surprised how much the balanced changed. Roger decided to get a specific reel for it and we will finish the balance off to it.

We reversed the yellow and orange on the top 4 eyes vs the bottom. 20200812_142139.jpg 20200812_142126.jpg 20200812_142118.jpg