rod recommendation (trolling walleye)

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by jewell, Jul 6, 2010.

1. jewell

jewell

hi guys i have a question and am leaning on you for what you think. i am having a hard time feeling bottom with the rod i am using while trolling, i thinks its way too stiff. i am looking to buy a good rod that has good sensitivity to it while trolling. i would also like to keep the price reasonable, still have not found that money tree yet! i live in southgate so i am near a gander mountian and im sure a bunch of mom and pop shops downriver.

thanks in advance,

2. WoodTick007

WoodTick007

I bought the Ugly Stick trolling rods many years ago and they have been great! I don't know if they are the best, but they have taken many years of use with no problems what so ever. I bought them based on price and warranty...but have proven to be a decent rod for both walleye and salmon fishing.

Why do you need to feel the bottom when trolling?

3. jewell

jewell

i forgot to say when dropping a bottom bouncer down there. i should feel it every so often right????

4. foreverb.young

foreverb.young

A few years ago I bought 4 Storm Thundersticks with a yellow tip. I use these for both trolling and drifting in search of walleye. I put line counter reels on these poles. I try to use a 1.5 oz. bottom bouncer. This set up has worked good for using boards and straight back. The price was about $25.00 to $30.00 each. Good luck. Forever B. Young:)

5. portagelaker

portagelaker Banned

We just use our jigging rods. Anything that has a fast or extra fast action, and medium weight. I keep mine strung with 10lb braided line. When the bouncer touches anything, just like my jigs, I feel it.

Doesn't keep me from getting snagged up in that dang river though, but at least I don't lose too much gear:dizzy: :lol:.

I did see Mike the Pike lose a musky at the boat that snapped his braided line, palomar tied to a double snap over swivel. If anyone catches a musky that has a 3 ounce yellow bottom bouncer and a crawler harness hanging out of it's mouth, let us know :evil:.

6. joecc

joecc

If you're going to hold the rod in your hand, a stiff rod w/ fast action tip is a good way to go. If you're going to fish the rod in a rod holder, a softer action ugly stick type is a good way to go IMHO

7. ERnurse

ERnurse

I went very cheap and catch limits with no problem. I went to walmart and got the $22.50 Berkley rods, they are red -7ft in length, med action. Also bought 4 cheap 29.95 rod/reel combos from Bass Pro this year, they are purple and Pink for Breast Cancer assoc. I have 4 seasons under the walmart rods, and this season with the purple rods from BPS.

I have fished Saginaw bay, Lake St. Clair, St. Clair river and Lake Erie with these rods. I have caught A LOT of walleye, catfish, sheepheads, small mouth bass and a Coho salmon on them.

Good Luck

8. HookDUp365

HookDUp365

bass pro and cabelas has there ugly stik trolling rods for 29.99. just bought 6 this year and no issues so far (about 30 trips out on the lake). I bought the 7 ft. medium action.

9. hayden24

hayden24

I bought 6'6 ugly sticks this year and I love them. I know a couple of others have posted in here as regarding ugly sticks.

J.R.

10. It's hard to beat the Ugly Sticks. I've used them for many years in lengths from 6'6" to 8' for bouncers, big boards, inline boards, down riggers and drop back. Rig them with line counter reels and braided line such as Power Pro or Fireline. ( I always use flourocarbon leaders attached via ball bearing swivel) I prefer one piece rods which in the longer lengths can be a storage and transportation problem on smaller boats. Just make sure that your leader is shorter than your rod.

11. Eyefull

Eyefull

For about $35 from the right location:D, you can get into the Okuma Blue Diamond series rods. They are one of two retail rods I don't hesitate to recommend. Composite blanks with a moderate action, good guides, great handle for retail at a good price.

Tony Childs
    Eyefull Custom Rods

12. TrekJeff

TrekJeff

Heartland via Daiwa are nice rods for under $50. Varied lengths in medium light, and medium would be perfect.

13. SCOUTER

SCOUTER

I have used many makes of rods over the years but have found that Northwoods outlet in Pinconning has shamano 7' rods for $9.95. A friend advised me he picked up 6 of them this spring and has used them for walleye and they work great at a great price. My last trip north I stopped and bought 2 for spares and the seem like a very nice med action rod.

14. Bob D

Bob D

I bought some Daiwa rods that are lower end then the Heartlands. The model escapes me now. They were $17.99 for the seven footers and $18.99 for the two-piece nine footers. It's starting to bother me now that I can't remember. That's going to bug me for a while.

Oh the model is Wilderness.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  15. Bob D

Bob D

I then went with the Okuma Magda 15D line counters or something like that. Those were roughly 35 bucks a piece.