Rod builders

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by walleye mafia, Jul 22, 2018.

1. walleye mafia

walleye mafia

Any good rod builders on here or has anyone have mags custom rod build them a rod. The pics I have seen of his closers are sweet I was thinking of going with the new 13 footer and I like doing a little homework before dropping all kinds of money. Thanks

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Jay (Wyandot) is an awesome builder on here! Last I knew he was stretched thin and not doing any rods though.... I have heard of mags rods and was shown a few photos. I haven’t seen his work in person. I haven’t heard anything bad about his work at all.

As for the 13’ closer - if you are looking for a steelhead stick, it shold be great based on my handling of the prototypes. If this is related to the other thread about Kings on the centerpin - the 13’ would be a tad too light for my taste and would look at the current 10-17 closer in my opinion.

flyrodder46 likes this.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

There are several nice builders that visit here including ^^^^^ Adam, Jay, Dave (Nova Rods), James (Magnum Rods) both of who are also on FB.
    As Adam said if you are looking for a King rod, 10-17 closer would be a nice choice, if you want a dual rod I would look for something closer to the XST 1563-4 which is a 6-12 lb. rated rod. You just have to be a little bit careful when you tangle with some of the really big boys with a lighter rod. The XST is one of my favorites for Kings, and I have been using it for 5 years now.

4. walleye mafia

walleye mafia

i Have a 13 shimano convergence in 6 -12 that I’m going to try for King. I don’t get much time for them with hunting deer. But I have a lot of time for steelhead so closer or glx any thoughts might help and thanks for the info

5. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Of the two, I personally prefer the action of the lami. Slightly more parabolic action. Plus you can have one tied up exactly how want it with better components than the glx for less cost than a glx. Even the factory models of each compared, comparable in price, and I feel better components on the lami. Just my two cents. Get your hands on both and compare the actions personally if you can before you buy. I don’t own a glx, but If you wanted to meet up in my area around Novi/Wixom sometime I can let ya handle my lami and you get a feel for what it is all about. Pm me if interested and we can arrange a meet up.

6. wyandot

wyandot

I've never seen any of MAGS rods in person, but he gets excellent reviews for his workmanship, his pricing and most importantly his turnaround time. He also lists some pre-fabs from time to time. I would also recommend you take a look at Nova Tackle rods by Dave Novelli. Really nice guy who builds a nice line-up of float rods right in your own backyard

FISHDOCTOR likes this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

Discovering did a show on Mags Custom Rods last Winter for those who are interested.

jwheelfan03 and strmanglr like this.
  8. slightofhand

slightofhand

A couple of the Michigan guys mentioned here are newbie rod builders within the past year or two. Everyone is a custom rod builder these days as anyone can build a rod...literally anyone. Try to fish a few different blanks mentioned here and then decide on your guide brand and style. The rest are asthetics and comfort and those are personal decisions. Imo the best at aesthetics are Danny Colville or don Christmas and those guys have been building considerably longer than Nova Mags or Magnum. In fact those guys were taught how to build by Don Christmas. FWIW I have fished closers and rank them far behind a rain shadow or cts

Benzie Rover likes this.
  9. wyandot

wyandot

You bet. Anyone can build a rod. Personally, I've been picking at it on and off for 33 years as a hobby. Doesn't mean I should go into the rod builder's hall of fame with Don Christmas and Danny Colville, but I'm certainly capable of turning out a solid product. I have no idea how long Dave Novelli or Pat Magdaleno have been building rods, but their services are in high demand so they must be turning out a product that people want.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  10. Benzie Rover

Benzie Rover

If you want a piece of art, hire a builder to make your stick. They produce beautiful rods and there are lots of dudes to choose from. On the other hand, if you want to own a full quiver of multiple rods and you're not loaded - learn to build. Personally, I break rods way too fast to fish with art. I usually replace 1-3 rods/year between ice fishing, spinning gear, ocean rods and fly rods. It's VERY easy to build super high performance rods. From 5' brookie rods, to 13' steelie blanks to ocean sticks, wrapping you're own is fun, easy and most of all, very cheap compared to paying a professional rod builder. It takes me 6 hours total time (handle, guide placement, wrapping and finishing) for a 9' rod. Slightly less for shorter, slightly more for longer rods. I don't have fancy butt wraps and I usually stick with one color thread/guide. I personally use MHX blanks as I find them to be superior or equivalent quality to any other blanks, sage included IMO, and they cost $50-120. Total rod cost for custom built 9' fly rod is usually $120 for everything. I can build 4 of those for the cost of one sage.

11. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

No need to build your own when you are great at it :) Can't wait to put the new rod to use on some kangs soon. Hopefully, I don't leave it leaning up against my jeep again this year :(

wyandot likes this.
  12. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

i'm sure there are other good builders on here, but my friend steve in metro Detroit (not too sure he's on here any longer) at midwestcustomflyrods makes damn fine rods, and makes them for less money than I am willing to.