Rod And Reel

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by steelhead1, Apr 23, 2006.

1. steelhead1

steelhead1

I'm looking to purchase a Pin outfit this summer and was curious as to what everyone thinks would be a good starting combo(rod and reel). I'm looking to spend about $500 or less. Also, when I get my new toy is there anyone close by that would be willing to hold my hand through basics of using it? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Treven

Treven Banned

For that $$ it depends on what you deem more important. My vote is an Islander IS (Contact Craig @ [email protected] ,awesome guy to work with and will ship anywhere). He has them for approx $300. I personally fish a 13' St. Croix Avid and love it-$230 @ Cabelas. So that's $530 close and you won't be unhappy in the least!

Other choices:

Rods:
    -Loomis Canada Frontier MX Line up (Look @ www.FishUSA.com for factory rods and blanks)
    -Raven Line up, especially IM9 and Matrix rods (www.FishUSA.com again)
    -Rainshadow are inexpensive, but nice (Blank prices @ http://www.shofftackle.com/shoffssh.html)
    -Cedar Rods (approx $375)

Reels:
    Mykiss ($400 contact through www.******************)
    Okuma Sheffield ($160 Craig @ Erie Outfitters)
    Raven Matrix ($140 Craig @ Erie Outfitters)

This is a huge question to ask since there are sooo many possibilities, if you want more indepth look at all of the possibilities email me @[email protected]

Later,

Trev

3. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

for $200 bucks you can get an aventa reel(good starter) and an aventa rod (13'6" 3 peice)...

that was my starter and did just fine...

then i got too into it and now im 1500 in the hole with these setups and there's more to be bought!

4. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

Like Treven, I too am fishing a 13ft st.croix right now. I love that rod, tried several others and still haven't made any new purchases.......

There's obviously nicer rods but from what I HAVE used I prefer my St.Croix.....very nice,light, sensitive tip section with alot of backbone in the lower section. 230 bucks, can't really beat it.

I am still using an Okuma Sheffield right now. I really like the reel, gets the job done.....but after trying a few other types I will probably upgrade after I get the dough$$$$$. Although I haven't tried one, I have heard alot of postive comments coming from the Mykiss line. The islander is probably the nicest reel I have personally used thus far. Good luck on finding the right setup.

5. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

As for the reel I would go with an Islander, but to keep you under $500 you should check out Raven's line of rods and reels. They are very nice for the money. I would go with the Matrix or the Vectra reel. I can not remember the price's but my favorite was the 14' IM8.

6. MuskyDan

MuskyDan

have a mykiss with the croix but frontier or cedar even loomis are alot lighter blanks. if you buy the croix done you have a huge diameter cork that is to large for the hand but the rod is nice

7. Treven

Treven Banned

MuskyDan hit it on the nose with the heaviness of the blank. I use a Bass Pro "The Balancer" and it helps, but only a custom handle that is balanced is the only way to balance that rod perfectly and have over 10" of foregrip.

For a comparison, the 15' Frontier MX (Loomis CA) is 4.6oz blank weight, while the beastly St. Croix is 5.0oz blank weight. Now the MX is 2 ft longer, so the 'ol Croix is hefty, but I still LOVE the thing. It's ability to protect light tippet, or jigs in my case, while being able to put the boots to a fish with a strong hook and 10lb lead it most certainly can. I landed a 15lb King in no time with it, but still makes steelies very fun as it bends WELL!

Trev

8. steelhead1

steelhead1

Thanks guys. It gives me alot of info to chew on.

9. Henner

Henner Guest

I have a Mykiss (2) and a 13' Frontier, and love it. I have fished with the same rod muskie dan has and my rod is lighter, but for faster water and bigger fish I would go with the st.croix. Like Trev said.

Good luck,
    Bobby Sullivan
    (st.croixsuckerboy)

10. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

henner you having any problems with the clicker on that 'kiss???

heard alot of problems with that on 'kisses...

11. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

I don't think its a matter of having a problem with the clicker I think its a matter of basically not having one at all. The clicker is not that big of deal since it has nothing to do with the fishability of the reel. Just carry a rubber band......

12. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

13. MuskyDan

MuskyDan

why complain about the clicker it isnt a downrigger reel does your clicker hold the line from coming off the spool when your retying the only time i use my clicker is when i put my rod away. other wise i hold the spool

14. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

well i just wasn't impressed with that for a reel thats well over the $400 price tag...

dont mean to be rude just asked a question...

cya on the river,

mark

15. MuskyDan

MuskyDan

maybe i did come off a little harsh