close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Riveted or Welded!

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Rotorhead65, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:18 PM.

1. Rotorhead65

Rotorhead65

Hello All!

Im currently in a tough spot. Im active duty Coast Guard stationed in Detroit. I have a 18' PolarKraft that I've decked out. I feel as if I made a huge mistake buying this boat. Reason being, as active duty CG I will transfer out of Detroit in 1-2 years to a new unit which will be salt water. I really want to head to Kodiak, AK or the west coast. However, owning a riveted boat with a steel trailer sounds like a expensive mistake.

Should I trade this thing in, take a big hit and come out with a hewescraft or all welded boat similar? Or head to salt water and hope for the best? Michigan is home and I will always return to the Great Lakes. I just don't want to take a beautiful boat into salt water and ruin it.

I sure appreciate any opinions!

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. Offfishn

Offfishn

St. Clair Shores, soon to be in Port Hope, MI !
    1st - Congrats on your choice of service , we boaters and fisherpeople appreciate the USCG

2nd - I've never owned a boat I used in Salt water(other peoples boats), but watching the Alaska shows and Northwest DNR shows, I see welded boats on the shows.
    Aluminium is corrosive left out in the elements and I would think the rivet/panel movement would leave uncoated areas to corrode quickly.
    Just a machine builders take on it.

Rotorhead65 and itchn2fish like this.

3. Rotorhead65

Rotorhead65

Agreed! I know the trailer will be shot in a couple years, but what will the dissimilar metal do on the rivet rows? Our helicopters are a constant battle in salt water and we take care of them very well!

So.... Is a hewescraft or similar boat with anode brackets and galvanized trailer a better choice?
    Should I leave a perfect midwest boat in the Midwest and learn to fish a PacNW boat here?

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Keep it and buy one once you arrive. You'll pay a premium buying one here

5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We looked at several fiberglass boats coming out of salt water and everyone of them had electrical gremlins. If you pick one up out there regardless of construction, have a good survey done.

dachief likes this.
  6. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Sell the Polarkraft before leaving michigan and pick up something else when you land in your next location. Learn what others are running and why. You may find a different hull type or construction is more ideal for your application. If you want something like a Hewescraft, they cost much less, used, on the west coast than here. No reason to pay extra for one in this area. If you pick up a salt water boat get a survey. Neglect such as failure to flush the motor, flooding and lack of anode replacement leads to big problems.

dachief likes this.
  7. tubejig

tubejig

It sounds like you are not going to move for a year or 2, which should give enough time to sell it as opposed to trading it in. Spring is coming and it will be a sellers market in just a few short weeks. Good luck in whatever decision that you make.

fishingmonster likes this.
  8. piketroller

piketroller

Post some pictures of your Polar Kraft on here and you might find a couple buyers before you get around to trying to sell it next year.