River jigging

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by shoprat51, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

I'm with you...much rather have the rod in my hand and feel the thump. I'm pretty sure I'll give it a shot on Wed. Just need to decide on whether to try my familiar stretch up and down from Zilwaukee, or give Bay City a shot for the first time??? I'll definitely report what I find on Wed.

2. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

Just giving you s***. Lol. Hoping a few show up around the mouth by Thursday. Might have to start doing the walleye dance to really get them moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Bay BornNRaised likes this.

3. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

I’ll probably go a couple nights this week after dark in bay city. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Sr.Blood and Go Lions!!!! like this.
  4. Fishndude

Fishndude

And ice fishermen can only jig through an 8" hole. :eek: Boat fishermen can drift with the wind, and jig, if the wind isn't too strong.

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  5. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

Check out Tom Boley, Clayton Schick and Uncut angling on YouTube. “Sharp shooting” walleye is what most call it. Cruise around until you mark a good pod, go back over them at slow speeds, once you mark them again drop a jiggin rap right on their heads. I used this method a lot this year perch fishing and it paid off big time a few times this summer. It’s a great method in the river on those low current days when you can’t get a decent drift in.

6. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Try it. Many even do it thru out hot summer months winning tourneys in the Deep. I almost spewed my coffee all over thinking the same with you guys with all these high end electronics running/chasing high speed marks. Call me old school but only reason I got a Newer Lowrance is it came with boat. 99% used just for depth. Now my GPS I hit same waypoints with usually same baits year after year. Only thing that really seems to change is I am getting older....

Horseshoe and Adamwesley like this.
  7. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Adapt... No complaints here. Plus on ice usually using shorter rod!!! More fun

8. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Have brought eyes up 15'-17' in 30' fow.

9. Layvon

Layvon

I've watched more of those three (add jay Siemens in there too) than I care to admit. I nailed them on raps at Holloway reservoir this summer.

I'm on my one year anniversary for experience at the bay so lots to learn yet and I typically try to learn by myself. Hate taking people and not putting them on fish.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

sock-em and Bay BornNRaised like this.
  10. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

No no there is no right or wrong. Just some over think it with what when where how and Now. Good luck on ice

Adamwesley likes this.
  11. olddog413

olddog413

These fish look just like the limits we pulled night after night casting from shore in Bay City from10-6 to 11 -7 last fall. I quit after 11-07 with all the walleye I needed. What a differance a year made. I have been fishing in the same spot NINE times since middle of October and not one single walleye has been caught. Last night, the baitfish were not even present. I believe the water is getting too cold for the delicate shad in my shallow spot. Never thought I would say this but...i give up ! I do believe they will show up before the ice does. After that, it is anyones guess whether the river will remain the "nursery"with the nicer fish staying in the bay. Looks to me like the ice season could be epic !

Ralph Smith likes this.
  12. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

It's definitely not a normal time. I can't remember the last time when they didn't start showing up in october. So many people are telling me that they never come in till December. Apparently they never fished in October because they were always in during that month. I know guys that even caught them in September and they weren't resident fish. I hope when it does turn on that it's not just little ones in the river system.

13. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

I agree. We were catching 10x the amount of decent fish in September compared to now.

Ralph Smith likes this.
  14. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer Premium Member

Windfinder indicates winds of about 25 mph. Doesn't sound very good.

15. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Those are just sheepshead Adam! :lol: If you have room for a ride Thursday, let me know. Done with red meat at the moment and letting anything that shows up hang!:lol: Got snacks and a couple for you to take home! :)
    20201126_075719.jpg