River jigging

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by shoprat51, Sep 14, 2020.

1. leafybug

leafybug

I launched at zillwaukee today, late start, went upriver marked lots of bait but nothing to show for it. Couple of bumps and that was it. Very tough day to learn how to use a new i-pilot! I just don't get it... stupid electronics!

ThreeDogsDown and MobyChromer like this.
  2. JeffroSoup

JeffroSoup

This could mean that all the fish will push in at one time and it will be excellent fishing. If it freezes it might actually be a decent year to pull some eyes through the ice on the river. Who knows. Only time will tell.

hhlhoward and Archieup like this.

3. LOman

LOman

I found with my Terrova/Helix that for jigging, legacy autopilot works best. Forget about “follow the contour” and “autopilot advanced” for jigging. Generally, I point the trolling motor into the wind with autopilot legacy turned in, set the speed about where it needs to be, and make many minor adjustments to the speed and direction as I drift in order to stay vertical. Ironically, IPilot link is not required to do this.

leafybug likes this.
  4. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

And to think "Some" say there are WAY TO many eyes....Heard Somebody say let them *** em to balance em out.... Mother nature wins everytime.

fishee likes this.
  5. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Dang it guys!!! Reports were starting to get a little better...but those reports from the weekend don't sound too promising:( Well, my buck tags are both filled now and I have Wed open, so still excited to give it a shot. It's walleye season now...and the "tug is the drug"!!!

6. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

You can always troll!

7. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Yup...I know...need to get rigged up and give that a shot at some point. But boat hasn't been out of the garage in two months and probably not the best time of year to be trying the bay for the first time. I have all day...I'm sure I'll be able to find a few of those 13" scrappers in the river!!! Maybe I'll luck into one of those big ole flat heads...that's still on my bucket list!

Ralph Smith likes this.
  8. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

They're doing great trolling on lake saint Clair too.....if you like those glass eyed carp! :lol:
    Screenshot_20201129-152153_Facebook.jpg

9. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Or jig out in Bay....:hide: very over looked....

10. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

Shhhhhhhhh....

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  11. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

I’ll be out Thursday this week if all goes as planned. Debating either trolling (I absolutely hate trolling) or going back in the river and playing with the dinks. Hmmmmm. I just wish these marks were hungry. It would make my decision a lot easier.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

eagle eyes likes this.
  12. Layvon

Layvon

I have often debated this. I see Airborne Angler does that. Do you just search for marks on bottom or will you.still catch them suspended. I feel like I would be casting a needle in a haystack.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

13. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Seems to work okay for ice fishermen out there.

leafybug likes this.
  14. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Lmao my bad.... Not like leaving fish to find fish....river will be loaded full of fish soon. Until then....

Ralph Smith likes this.
  15. Layvon

Layvon

I feel dumb. You're not wrong lol. This will be my first year on the ice if I go.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk