River jigging

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by shoprat51, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Me likey!!!! Things are starting to come together!!! Sure would think they'll be quite a few guys trying it this weekend. Sure hope they are willing to report;) I'm looking at next Wednesday to make the drive over. Have a terrible itch that needs some scratching!!!!

2. the_fng

the_fng

I went Thursday for a couple hours by the confluence almost got skunked, I did snag shad :rolleyes:. Honestly it was my first time out in my boat and first time trying to jig on the Saginaw so i am sure that had something to do with it... Going to try again Sunday ( I hope) a little further down stream.

Ralph Smith and ThreeDogsDown like this.

3. Gaffman

Gaffman

lots of shad and 5-9 inch eyes. caught probably 60 from mouth to wheeler. maybe had 6 fish over 10 inches with possible 1 keeper that i caught near the end of day. plenty of boats and perch fisherman. soon

Go Lions!!!! likes this.
  4. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Any reports from today??? Had to have been a fair amount of boats giving it a shot on a beautiful day like today?

5. JeffroSoup

JeffroSoup

Went this AM around 9. Fished south of the Zbridge till noon. Caught 25+ fish total. 2 keepers, a few that were barely 13 that we let swim with most being 11 to 13 inches. Wind picked up and bite slowed down so we called it. Felt good to set the hook on some eyes. Better times are in the near future.

6. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Not up to usual standards this time of year...but not too shabby of a report for what we've been getting. Thanks for sharing! I think I'd take 25 hook sets and a handful of keepers on Wed.

ThreeDogsDown likes this.
  7. JeffroSoup

JeffroSoup

Yea everyone around us was catching fish too but mostly throw backs. I thought I had a 10lber but it was just a sheepshead hooked in the belly. Like you said it scratched the itch and only got me more excited for whats to come in the next few weeks.

8. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

This is pretty standard for this time of year. Sort through a bunch of shorts to scrape up a few keepers. Your average size keeper this time of year will be 13"-16". You will get a push of bigger fish every once in a while and the bite will last a couple days(as long as you can stay on them.)

9. FallsmyTime

FallsmyTime

We caught 4 keepers Friday with one around 20 inches with a huge belly. I figured it would be full of shad but when I filet her she was full of eggs.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

Believe it or not, the eggs are pretty good to eat.

11. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

No thanks, I'll take your word for it...

12. leafybug

leafybug

Used to eat perch eggs all the time, they were great. Never tried walleye eggs

ThreeDogsDown likes this.
  13. eyepod

eyepod

The Oldman and Eye gave it a whirl this morning, hit all the usual spots from the airport to hog-alley with only a two dinks to show for it. Zero current and loaded from top to bottom with shad, marked some nice fish but with all the meat (shad) down there nothing wanted anything to do with plastics. Only saw one other boat fishing on that whole stretch of river, maybe six rigs in the Z-ville lot all morning. Be heading to the Bay for some trolling the next decent day. :fish:

14. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer Premium Member

My wife and I tried perch eggs once and it was like eating sand. Neither of us cared for it and have not tried it since.

15. the_fng

the_fng

Launched at Rust and made our way down a few miles and nothing, did not see anything pulled out of the water from the other boats either... Hope things pick up soon.

MobyChromer likes this.