River jigging

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by shoprat51, Sep 14, 2020.

1. shoprat51

shoprat51

Notta yesterday started at 8:00am water temp was 43.2 degrees drifted from freedom to the salt docks got a couple bumps no takers mark a few on sonar. We went out to channel island threw some cranks near the riprap marked a few more on sonar 16ft of water no bites stayed out till my trolling motor battery died called it a day

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. brigeton

brigeton

Does anyone remember when it was this late in the year and the fishing still not good? I don't fish the river a lot because I live on the west side of the state but it seems the river is usually good by the end of October or at least mid November. I wonder if it has to do with high lake levels and lack of current in the river.

3. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

I don't have any answers, but I'm surely getting a bit perturbed. Still have a buck and doe tag left, but it's that time of fall to start mixing in some trips to the Sagnasty! But just doesn't seem worth it with the way the reports are.

4. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

The only thing I can think of is the floods in the spring from the dam bursts had something to do with it. But even after that the fishing was still great. Atleast on the Eastside all the way till August.

5. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

There are dinks in the river but where are the big ones? A few years back, in Oct. and Nov. everyone was catching keepers and very few shorts. Something different is going on! Even in the Bay the fish are still deep, hardly anything in shallow waters. I know the water temp. is a little high but fish move on daylight/darkness cycles as well as water temps. In addition the bait fish are all over the place. Watching a lady dip netting minnows at Q-cee and was getting about 25 nice minnows each dip.

6. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Where abouts was she dipping? Maybe the high water is bringing a different pattern. I'd take a bay full of them nice perch that's being caught if it was up to me! :lol: Put the limit back to 50! :D

meatfishhunter likes this.
  7. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

this photo was taken october 26th last season very far up river....like st. charles up river. lol. i was boating them from about october 20th all way til march close. 20191026_173442.jpg

8. Layvon

Layvon

Open boat seat Sunday. Need nothing besides bandits if you have some I have everything else. Would love to take a father son combo out that doesn't have the chance to get out much. going to be a little bit weather dependent looks like it may rain but I'll probably still go anyways.

Not sure where I'm going to launch out of most likely Patterson or up pinconning somewhere.

My boat is capable of anything we're going to encounter wave wise.

PM me if interested.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

9. oaksrus

oaksrus

Was out Perching last week caught close to 20 walleye at the plug. All shorts. Lost one big fish, never saw it. Got bunch of perch thuogh.

ThreeDogsDown and Ralph Smith like this.
  10. FallsmyTime

FallsmyTime

Went a couple days ago (river) and got a couple shorts 2 catfish and what surprised us no farm animals like we have been catching.

ThreeDogsDown likes this.
  11. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Q-see at the second bridge on the dirt road. Fishing was slow, 2 people at the dirt road bridge and 3 people at the launch. Nothing but a few dinks for a few hours of fishing.

12. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Last season is a whole lot different than this season!

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  13. Trebblehook

Trebblehook

RAIN is the difference. We need a couple of inches .

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

It's more than that. Fish are normally in the system the beginning of October. We have had rains that would normally bring fish in. The bay did get hotter than normal but I think there are many contributing factors and not just one.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

ThreeDogsDown likes this.
  15. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

We made the trip down there once last year on Oct 26th, I caught one in the 23" range, was down there on Wednesday caught 1 short,.... This may be off topic but up here for the Cisco jigging in the TC bays its way off also, usually the Cisco on the first of October are traditionally 60-80 feet down over 120', this year we went the 3rd week of Oct and they were STILL down near bottom, I know somethings off this year, just sayin'

Shiawassee_Kid and ThreeDogsDown like this.