River jigging

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by shoprat51, Sep 14, 2020.

1. shoprat51

shoprat51

I'm tired of waiting too still heading over and give it a whirl if nothing else the big ole catfish will keep things interesting lol

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

dirtyfisheyes187 and hhlhoward like this.
  2. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Or bring your perch poles atleast you'll catch some fish to eat.

"Big Tuna" and Ralph Smith like this.

3. shoprat51

shoprat51

Perch rod is already on the boat Brian great minds think alike if the bay is calm was gonna run out to spark plug

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Nov 19th we had 32.6 degrees. Catching NICE fish...

Attached Files:

5. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Come on guys!!! Been focused on the Whitetails but my mind is never far from the walleyes. I checked the Sagnasty forum for the first time in a few days and hoping for some reports...NOTHING??? Getting real close to fishing time...but need a little something something to justify the 2 hour drive. Getting close to Thanksgiving...almost always good by then...isn't it???

jumbojake, 3BMF’s and Ralph Smith like this.
  6. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

It has been a tad windy!:lol: I want to perch fish, but red meat is taking priority right now unfortunately.

Go Lions!!!! likes this.
  7. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

Thanksgiving has been my date for 30 some years. We always make our first trip that weekend and for the most part we usually find some fish.

8. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

Were making the 2 hour drive tomorrow to give jigging it fair "time", if it don't produce some fun, were going to head out and do some trolling for them, which leads me to a question...When trolling DHJ12 and Bandits do you typically run one side of boat Bandits and opposite side DHJ12 or do you mix it up with both on each side? TIA Question #2...Were going to launch out of Edson, if we decide to troll should we trailer back up to Linwood or make the run from Edson ou to the bay? TIA

9. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

How many guys just free float while jigging, trolling motor 100% needed. We just have a 46lb thrust and 12v which is only gonna last a little while Id guess. Also would be doing as FishGT above said and fish till battery dead and head out trolling.

10. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

I only have a 12v trolling motor and when that dies I just free float. I still catch lots of fish so don't be afraid to do it. Just because everyone is using trolling motors doesn't mean it's the only way to fish. When the river gets iffy from skim ice I take my 12' and just drift over spots that I know hold fish. When I get so far then I start the motor up and go over it again.

Cptncor84 likes this.
  11. Baybum

Baybum

I tend to run a mix on both sides. Add p10's on snap weights to that mix and thats me. Longest leads out furthest from the boat so in theory with a fish on it goes back and around the other lines. So p10 on the furthest out board, ddhj middle board and bandit closest to boat.

If it were me and I already launched at Edson I'd just boat to the mouth.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

ThreeDogsDown and fishgtbay like this.
  12. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

I get several hours outta my 46lb. on the river. Should be OK unless it's extremely windy. I don't go then, anyway. Battery lasts longer than on Detroit River where current is heavier.

jumbojake and ThreeDogsDown like this.
  13. hommer23

hommer23

Run a mix on both sides. Boat ride to the mouth isn’t bad from Bangor launch maybe 20 minutes, it is all no wake. The determining factor would be wind direction and speed, South wind over 15k trailer up to Linwood the ride back in can be brutal pounding into a head wind.

14. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

Well just a follow up on a previous post, we did make the drive today, launched out of Edson and gave jigging a fair shake of 2 1/2 hours, 2 shorts to show for it, so plan B, went out to spark plug and gave perch a glimmer of a shake, no like it, soooo, plan C trolling it was, in 2 hours we boated 8 nice eyes and called it a day.....husky jerks and bandits both produced equally as well, very fun day for the first time trolling cranks this late in the season, thanks for everyone's reply.

15. Nickolai M Miotto

Nickolai M Miotto

Ok. I have to know were you found them.. 10 days ago we were out east of the plug about 2 miles.. got nine lost countless others... .. went back to those #s today.. nada.. went farther east.. nada.. fished just west of the plug.. blank
    went to pinconning.. nada.. linwood 1 gar marked tons.. only one pullback . kawkawlin. Nada.. went home!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6667supersport likes this.