River and Stream access

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Ballyhoo, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

I am new to Michigan and I am trying to get some information on access points for wading or river's edge to drift some beads for spring steelhead. I have fished from a boat (in winter via guide) on the Muskegon, but it seems to me that all up and down that river is private property right up to the river's edge. I have been looking at the DNR report on the spring run and it seems that they only report on the areas where I am sure it is elbow to elbow fishing. I know there are some natural areas surrounding the White river, Muskegon and Pere Marquette if anyone can help with an access road name or GPS coordinates I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

There is not a lot of access on the Mo for wading. On the White there is quite a bit of good areas for wade fishing, just do as everyone else has, get out and look or talk to people in the area. The PM has a ton of good wading access points, both in the upper fly's only and below in the open areas. Most have parking areas so check them out and go for a walk.

Sparky23 likes this.

3. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Thanks Flyrodder

4. breminnie

breminnie Premium Member

On the PM there is a great walk in an area called Maple leaf off US 10 between Walhalla and Branch. You need to take Taylor rd. south off US 10, it's just a too track it dead ends in a fisherman's parking lot. Follow the paths down to the river and you can walk east or west all day long. Tons of gravel and holes. Also, lots of bends to fish. It's the best walk in area on the PM. There are also walk in areas at Upper Branch bridge /with parking, which is located on South Branch rd., and if you go a 1/8 of a mile past or before Upper Branch Bridge depending which way you are headed on South Branch rd. there is Sulak boat Launch/fisherman's parking lot with a ton of bank fishing trails. all these places are within 5 miles of each other by road. Good LUCK!!!!

-Axiom- likes this.
  5. Fishndude

Fishndude

Michigan laws allow anglers to enter rivers everywhere there is a road crossing (bridge). You can wade up, and down the river, and can exit the river on private property to get around an obstruction (downfall, deep hole, etc), but must re-enter the river immediately after passing the obstruction. If you want to learn more about MI laws for this, do a site search for riparian rights, and allot some time to read what you find. Not everyone sees these laws the same way, and sometimes it isn't worth the fight to argue with a landowner who thinks you can't wade in front of their home, or cabin. I've made some friends over time who have allowed me access to their properties to fish places most people can't really get to by foot easily. Leaving some fresh or smoked fish with someone who enjoys it gains favor. ;)

Google Earth is a great tool for finding out-of-the-way road ends near rivers, and creeks. Also great for finding bridges where you can wade in. And, of course, we have hundreds of miles of rivers that run through State and National forests. I also own some books of maps of all of the Counties in MI. I realize that is outdated, but they work great for me, to help me find my ways to places to fish. They show State and Federal land, all major rivers, and lots of smaller streams and creeks. They even show the countless 2-track "fire roads" that crisscross northern Michigan. Meijer used to carry these, but I haven't looked in a long time.

Also, if you go to the Trout Streams forums (NE, SE, SW, and NW), and read the rivers that CAN be posted on, at the top of the landing page for each forum, you will find rivers that just plain have Trout, Salmon, and Steelhead. Lots of them. And then you will start looking for their tributaries.........And then you will start noticing other smaller nearby rivers, which CAN'T be posted on, here. So many options. You could literally spend 5 years learning to fish the Grand River system well. Or you could spend 50 years learning the Grand, St Joseph, Pere Marquette, and Big and Little Manistee Rivers. I can easily think of three times that many rivers I won't name, in the same general part of the State, which often have fantastic fishing. Get out. Explore. Make friends who can answer questions, and help you find some decent spots to fish that are less crowded.

Don't bring crowds to un-crowded spots. lol

toto likes this.
  6. toto

toto

Yeah someone who gets it, nice job explaining things fishndude.:bowdown:

7. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Thank you – this is great information and I will definitely give it a shot.

breminnie likes this.
  8. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Thank you–wow great info. I don't think I have 50 years, but I really appreciate the great tips on MI law and the smaller streams. I am from the east coast and an avid saltwater fisherman. I had a horrible run in with a landowner on a Tidal river where he claimed that he owned from the high water mark on the beach to the middle of the river. As he yelled in my face saying if he saw me again he would call police etc. I was just out for a walk to have some quiet time and you run into a shark with teeth. I did some research and discovered that he was wrong based on Federal law. Regardless never accessed (his) area by foot and just used my kayak.