Right place, right time!

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Nov 3, 2015.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Wow, what a crazy 2-1/2 days of steelheading! Had an incredible stretch of action on some hot ass fish. I went 21-30 on steelhead and 1 bonus eye. All fish were released including the walleye. These fish were so explosive; I blew up straight 10lb more than a couple times! There are not huge numbers, I was very lucky and stumbled onto a run that had a pod sitting in it. Not much left for salmon...a few old, spent fish is about it. A small sampling of NE badassness:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

I'm a bead-liever! Nice fishing.

3. keahyukchang

keahyukchang

4. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Very nice colors. Thanks for sharing.

5. bronc72

bronc72

6. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Nice work bro! Dark male! That would have been a nice September surprise!

7. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

AuSable nice bunch of fish it is very likely that the darker male is a very fresh fish. There are about 10 or more different breeds in the great lakes, some are just more colorful. You make me wish that I did not have to be sitting here working now.

8. DXT Deer Slayer

DXT Deer Slayer

Nice work, the peach bead strikes again!

Not much to speak of on the Ausab right now but love to hear of wild NE steelhead beating up 10 lb. Bet it was a riot.

9. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Beads only hooked about a quarter of my fish; spawn hooked most. I lost all my biggest fish, including a couple in the 10lb range. I hooked one on a bead that simply thrashed, rolled, spun and shook all in one motion, then blistered across stream and completely blew my rig up!

A lot of times, they were already going crazy on the bite, and often left little time to set. After catching lrb's, lakers and late-run salmon in the upper NW for the last couple weeks, it was refreshing to feel the frenzied bites of fresh, feeding fall steelhead. Nothing like them!

Most of my fish were 5-7lbs, and I also got a handful of smaller fish. The nice thing was the "smaller" fish were all cookie-cutter 23inchers that were so fat and healthy...you damn near couldn't get your hand around them! Small heads and big bodies is a perfect description for them. I didn't get a fish under 23"...not a one.

TroutSniffa likes this.
  10. Bighunther

Bighunther

Nice report! Are you using salmon or Steelhead spawn? Have heard salmon spawn is better in fall, however, I have my doubts.

Again, great report

11. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I don't think it really matters in the fall. Any good, fresh spawn should work. I had brown trout and salmon bags, and both worked the same.

12. jrv

jrv

Nice, healthy fish right there! With how aggressive fall fish are, do you think any of the fish you caught were repeat catches? I'm hoping I get my second buck soon so I can get back out on the water! Nice job!

13. brian0013

brian0013

Wtg man some nice looking fish! Were u bottom bouncing ? I'm heading up for the weekend b it the first light.and if u wouldn't mind sharing were the fish in the gravel or the holes ?I'm new to this river fishing started last year got one nice steel in the spring and now I'm hooked lol

14. Jayvelaz1130

Jayvelaz1130

Below gravel runs should be money right now.

15. brian0013

brian0013

Right on thanks for the info hope to post a good report tom