close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Right handed, left eye dominate?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by kb8wgb, Aug 12, 2017.

1. kb8wgb

kb8wgb

I have two kids that I signed up for beginner archery lessons, to make sure that they like it before spending the money on bows for them. I'm a bow hunter and shot competition in high school, so i know a few things about archery. When the kids showed up for there first lesson and fitting for bows, they checked the kids for which eye was dominate and that is how they were fitted for bows.

When i first started it was are you left handed or right handed and that is what you shot. Is this something new? i need advice from other shooters on which way i should fit these kids for bows, i'm right handed and right eye dominate and it just seems to me being right handed and trying to shoot left handed would be strange. maybe I'm wrong. Help!!!

thegospelisgood likes this.
  2. Bucman

Bucman

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right. I just close my left eye.

Firefighter likes this.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter

Same.

Reckon I've been reasonably accurate doing so... :)

Set your kids up with their dominant hand in mind, not their dominant eye.

It's far easier to close an eye than it is to overcome a lifetime of physical and mental development.

4. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Yes supposed to use the dominant eye that way one eye doesn't get closed affecting depth perception. I have co-dominant eyes. So one is getting closed anyway. I would go with what is comfortable for the youngsters. Don't want them to get frustrated practically starting over in my opinion

5. thegospelisgood

thegospelisgood

Didn't find out I was left-eye dominant until after I bought the bow. But, if I close it the right eye re-focuses and I can re-open my left if I choose. But - it's best to just leave it closed. By time I've acquired the target and prepare for release - depth-perception is kind of irrelevant.

Bucman likes this.
  6. Hoytman5

Hoytman5

I am right handed, left eye dominant. I can't close my left eye so I decided to just start shooting left handed and I'm glad I made the switch. It didn't take that long to get used to and it actually felt more natural that way. I prefer to shoot with both eyes open, not only does it help with depth-perception, it enables you to see better in low light conditions as well as having a quicker, more accurate view after the shot.

If it were my kids I'd start them out left handed. I wouldn't want them to learn any bad habits when they are just learning that might affect them as they grow with the sport, namely proper form and sight alignment.

12Point likes this.
  7. matt76cmich

matt76cmich

As a very right handed person who is left eye dominate i will echo whats been said already. Shoot left handed. My dad started me shooting my BB gun left handed when he noticed me trying to aim with my left eye while holding it right handed. Flash forward 23 years later when i decided to pick up a bow. I first tried shooting right handed and it just felt weird and i was missing deer left and right (not to say a little buck fever didn't play in there lol). I found a used left handed bow and figured why not at least try it. Best thing i ever did. I am still as right handed as a person can be, but shooting long guns and bows are done left handed and i credit that to starting at a young age shooting that BB gun left handed, just feels natural.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017 at 4:13 AM
    12Point likes this.