Rigging basics for newbie

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Lamarsh, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Going to try pinning for the first time next week. It's been on my mind for a while, and I've had about enough of it. I've tied quite a few flies that I really want to try with a pin setup, but wasn't sure if I'd like it, so I borrowed a buddy's rod and reel, and bought all the floats, weights, etc so I don't have to lose his stuff. Wondering if some of you can help me nail down some basic rigs that I can sort of use as a platform to figure it out myself, as I know there are many ways to skin the cat.

What is your basic rig setup in terms of things like float size, length of shot line, weight of shot, spacing of shot, and forward on to the fly? All I really have in my head is a barrel swivel from my main line, to an unknown length of maybe 25b fluoro for a shot line, to another barrel swivel, to about 12-24" of 2-4x tippet. No clue if that's in the right direction or not.

Then, as far as fly weight goes, what is too light and what is too heavy? I will be fishing lower au sable below Foote next week, and was planning on stoneflies tied with 4-5.5mm tungsten beads, as well as poured jigs in the 1/32oz weight. Too light? Too heavy?

Also, my buddy doesn't use his setup a lot, he has I want to say 15-20lb Maxima Chameleon on it. I bought 15lb Raven Main Line, but I'm not sure if it's worth me adding that to his reel. I really bought it in case I want to buy my own reel, not to unspool and respool his, but if it makes a huge difference I don't mind doing it.

Any other tips to a pin newbie are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

Read the sticky at the top of the forum, titled "How to Center pin". Lots of very good information in the thread that should answer a lot of your questions.

Lamarsh likes this.

3. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Ditch the maxima main line, and heavy unneeded shot line. The maxima has way to much memory, and will be a disaster to fish with. I recommend using 14# clear Sufix Elite, and either 6# maxima ultra green leader, or Sunline FC Super Sniper in 8#. Id personally stick to beads, or spawn bags on the AuSable for float fishing, I’ve personally never tried flies while float fishing,but they may work. I’d use a 11gr float, and weight according, either bulk shot, or do a pattern with heavier shot at the float, and go smaller as you go down.

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Thanks! Not sure if I'll have time to swap out that Maxima with what you recommended, but I do have 15lb Raven main line. Let me know if you think it'd be worth swapping with that, or at least joining 100 yards of it onto that Maxima already there.

I have both of these. Curious what is the ups and downs with either when it comes to a shot line. Also, any specific reason you like FC Super Sniper over other fluoro about that size? I know FC Super Sniper has higher break strength per diameter, but wasn't sure if that was your reason. Any reason not to use an actual fluoro tippet material with 8 or more lb break strength that is considerably slimmer than that FC Super Sniper?

When float fishing on these pin setups, is the line of shots (I think usually running from large to smaller down from the float) always there, or does it every pay off to not use any shot and just use a weighted fly or jig at the end, whether it be marabou or tipped with bait such as wax worm or spawn?

Thanks again for your help.

5. wyandot

wyandot

I agree with Bob, Suffix Elite is readily available, easy to manage and fairly buoyant. If you plan to run a shot line, abrasion resistant mono like cxx or xt work well, and 10lb. is strong enough to move a Hereford bull. 4ft. is more than long enough for a shot line, and like Bob said, it really isn't a necessity. Everyone has their opinions on leader material, run whatever you have confidence in, because confidence is 95% of the game. 10-11 gram floats will get it done except when it's gin clear and shallow or super deep and raging. I agree with Bob on this also. If you have spawn, run it. If you don't have spawn, get some.

6. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Just a few points of input from me, all personal opinion:

a) skip the flies, 1/32 jig tipped with waxies and properly weighted float are a better buggy bite, unless you insist on running flies, then give it a whirl. I’d just have more confidence in bait.

b) beads or bags would be my first grab right now with current water temperatures.

c) I personally agree with bob on the mainline. The maxima will be tough, and raven line I hate to say, simply isn’t the best option. Try to grab some suffix or even big game in 14lb.

d) after my many years of leader experimenting and trial/error, I trust one fc for leader - sniper in 8lb or 10lb if conditions allow me to get away with it. Don’t get lighter than 8, I have not had good experiences with it. I’ve tried the other true tippets and everything, sniper trumps every one I’ve ran. Strength to diameter and knot strength namely. Just watch for abrasion now and then.

e) just to simplify your shopping list/rigging, put your shot, either pattern or bulk, right on your mainline if you use a clear main. If a hi vis main, run a shot line to get that hi vis out of their face. Just make sure to step breaking strength appropriately.

Lastly - have patience and good luck! Most importantly enjoy the time on the water and consider any fish a bonus to learning a new technique!

7. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

A
    A weighted fly will not be heavy enough to properly weight down the bobber, a 11g float takes 11g of weight to set it properly in the water. FC stays supple, and tied a great strong knot compared to other fluorocarbon, and it’s crazy strong. I have heard mixed reviews concerning the Raven main line. It seems kinda stiff to me, and doesn’t come in clear. The only way I’d ever use a shot line was if I was running a colored bright main line.

8. nighttime

nighttime

First few times out don’t matter ton what line just getting used to the reel but suffix is cheap. I’ve caught several fish on hair jigs and even flys without bait but wax worms work. Some seasons mostly use wax worms over spawn as far as bait goes. If your fishing southeast mi drop the beads unless tipped with bait, just don’t produce the fish like most other areas of state till late February/ March. Right now lure time.

Burz likes this.