Riggers and Mounting Track

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by trebledwaters, May 18, 2020.

1. trebledwaters

trebledwaters

I want to get a couple of riggers for the back of my boat, and I would ideally like to put them on tracks. I have the Alumatrack rail system on my Alumacraft Navigator so I am using Traxstech ACB-250 clamps to hold the Traxstech track to my gunnel. Traxstech recommends using longer tracks for more stability but I have cleats riveted in near the back of the boat that I would like to not remove. There is room for a 6" track behind it which is ideally where the riggers should go. My question is if anyone has experience with this setup and can tell me if they think it will have enough strength. The 6" track will use 2x ACB-250 clamps very close, and I like how strong they clamp to the gunnels so I'm inclined to say it should suffice but I know riggers put a ton of strain on the mounting and I don't have experience with them so I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge.

2. piketroller

piketroller

You’ll be fine with a short track using two of those clamps. I would be comfortable even using one of the larger ACB-400 mounts with an adapter plate on the top screwed down not the four corners of that clamp if you didn’t need the track for anything else. Putting it on and off with an Allen wrench from underneath is a pain, but just a quick one, and the only real reason to add track up top.

trebledwaters likes this.

3. Slimshady

Slimshady

You should be fine as long as you put a longer aluminum backing plate underneath the gunnel. You can also use a section of 3/4" plywood under it. You just need something to spread the load out over a longer section, or you might get some flexing of the aluminum. I had that happen in the front of my boat from the trolling motor and it ended up cracking along both sides. I had to have it TIG welded and then I reinforced it so it won't happen again.

4. piketroller

piketroller

There is no backing plate:
    1DCC4FCD-7D7F-4B24-AC87-E90CB9D64A22.jpeg

5. Slimshady

Slimshady

Ah, I see how the clamps work that you are talking about. They use the strength of the side rails, so you should be fine.

6. rd2690

rd2690

Big Jon makes a 4” square mount the riggers bolt to. Whatever you go with try and back the underside of where you’re minting with thick marine plywood or aluminum is even better. Then use big washers an lock nuts. You can spread out the load bay using a backer and since it’s underneath your cleats may not be in the way.

Topshelf likes this.