Rifle Updates

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by RDH79, Apr 6, 2018.

1. RDH79

RDH79

Figured we could just start a thread on conditions to help save people sometime.The river as of today is still a touch low but isn't as clear as a week ago.Steelhead are around best reports are still south of Greenwood Rd but a few are being caught all the way to Sage Lk where it closes.Fishing should just get better for the next few weeks as the temps and water warm up.Feel free to post your reports on here as well and good luck guys and gals.Here's a couple pics from the last few days. 0406181044a-1.jpg 0406181044b.jpg 0403180938.jpg 0403180939.jpg 0403180938a.jpg

Sent from my LGL164VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. cmueller302

cmueller302

Just a heads up that there is a lot of lookers on here that will jump at the chance to head to a river they never fished before on a hot report. If you think the river can support that kind of pressure your sadly mistaken. I can usually tell if someone is in front of me with in a few casts. Nice fish hope you have a great season!

Firdog, SJC, Scout 2 and 2 others like this.

3. RDH79

RDH79

Lots of miles of river to fish in my opinion I have lived on the river my whole life.Certain times of the year it gets busy but most days its nothing compared to Oscoda or over on the PM.

duckduster and Fishndude like this.
  4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Please read the list of rivers that CAN be posted on, at the top of this forum page. The Rifle is the 2nd river listed. If you think people can't post reports about the Rifle River on here, you're sadly mistaken. If you don't want to post reports, that is certainly at your discretion.

Bassbug likes this.
  5. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

I don't think his post was about forum rules but common sense in posting... why draw a map with conditions for people to come in and exploit, which will happen. It's isn't a hard river to over fish and it only gets a supplemental plant. I guess people like company when they fish...

6. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Miles and miles of water bordered by private land. Some nice access points scattered here and there, very long hikes over some pretty mucky trails or 75foot clay/sand banks. Or float it and portage 12 times in 5 miles when not dragging your boat. I have never been crowded out and see a couple fishers at best, most often none. Now last week at Omer it was elbow to elbow...for suckers, and quite a few of those left. If I can save a fellow sportsman a drive due to a blown out river, and the Rifle will blow out quick, nothing wrong with that. Most guys are heading to or coming from big pretty rivers up north. They hit a couple easy public sites, hike a few hundred yards up or down and move on.

Bassbug, mfs686, duckduster and 2 others like this.
  7. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=04142000

8. RDH79

RDH79

Guess I'm just old fashion and like to help my fellow sportsman out..lol Like I posted eariler I have lived and fished on the Rifle for 30 years and don't ever have a problem with over crowding.Usually on see 1 or 2 guys and just go around each other and give them space.80% of the people fish 10% of the river there's a lot of water to cover away from the main access points.

Bassbug, Scout 2 and crazydrake like this.
  9. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

I give info all the time. But I choose to give it to the guys back in the swamps and brush busting there humps to find fish. If you want to give it to 20,000 people that watch this forum go ahead. I've already seen an increase of people due to online reports. I've heard guys say so. I know how to get in a canoe and get away from people. I was just backing what cmueller302 was saying. When the trout you release come out on a stringer in front of you you'll change how you do things! Or don't I guess. Nice browns to the original poster...

cmueller302 and SJC like this.
  10. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

To each their own I suppose, but after telling 20,000 folks 19,998 of them did not have gas money I guess. You told the guys who are actually going to get your fish. Don't take it the wrong way but some folks see it a bit different. Good fishing.

11. sylvan19

sylvan19

This song and dance has been played before. Most guys don't or won't put the time into learning the river. Like mentioned earlier, outside of the easier access points I rarely run into another person. Nothing wrong with giving a general report about what the river is doing. People still need to make the drive and put the time in and most aren't willing to do that.

Now if your posting a detailed report about a hot Perch spot on a lake look out!

Scout 2, feedinggrounds and RDH79 like this.
  12. cmueller302

cmueller302

I know the rules of the page and saw them violated on the first post naming access points. Just because a river is listed doesn’t mean it is sound science to post on it or that the river can support the pressure. I used to live by the river also and if you think the river can withstand the pressure you can fish behind us any day. Your right 90 percent of the people fish 10 percent of the system. But it is expanding. I have seen more people the last few years then ever before.
    Never said he couldn’t post on the rifle. Or help fellow sportsman out. It was just my observation of a river I am very passionate about. Didn’t mean to disrespect anyone.
    Tight lines!

MapleRiverSalmon and SJC like this.
  13. Davey Boy

Davey Boy

Posts like this might not hurt but look what happens in the winter on Saginaw Bay. A few people put photos of all their limits on the internet, not just this site but all the others about Saginaw Bay, and these guys turn into "experts". Not that the Bay can't handle the added pressure, but people come from all over the country expecting to catch limits. Some have a good time, others get themselves into trouble, crossing cracks when they shouldn't, leaving trash everywhere, tearing up access sites, etc. So when you can't find a parking spot at Greenwood Rd. or Sage Lake Rd, and the River gets trashed and other access sites get closed up don't say nobody told you so.

MapleRiverSalmon and cmueller302 like this.
  14. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Kayaks, canoes, and tubes, along with the places that rent them are the ones that fill the river, and parking, in non prime fishing times, they have a lot to do with trash also. Some liveries do help a lot with clean up, but I have never seen a parking area filled with fishermen and I drive by them daily, unless its sucker time. Suckers have a big fan club. Public sites are just that, folks do not need me to tell them where they are, that is what big signs are for and fishing guidebooks. Now I cross The South branch of the Au sable daily too, at Chase bridge rd. I can tell you the moment a hatch is going off the lot will be full, cars, trucks and drift boat trailers for a quarter mile on both sides of the road. In a flies only area, now them fly guys must be talking posting and gossiping all over. It is not the bag tossing worm dunking spinner flinging fishermen. No dams on the Rifle gives it miles of free flowing just ok fishing, some times, but get a half inch of rain and swoosh she is turbid a chocolate milk in a blender for days. No one is giving gps readings, they can change in one thunderstorm.

Bassbug likes this.
  15. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Respect your passion, I own frontage on it and have passion too. I can catch 1 fish and call it a good day, I can catch 0 fish and call it a good day. If some one drives 2 hrs they may have a different perspective. To me and just my opinion, I hike to a hole and sit on the bank as a young buck works it or a old river rat does the same. If we chat respectfully and share the sound and sites that is a good day, maybe one of the best. When I hike out with nothing but a net full of trash, as I look behind me...that is a good day too. I have had days that I carried out trash a fish and seen and spoke to 2 fishermen, that was a grand slam. Good fishing