returnable containers

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by UPBeerguy, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

I think it is more like 89% to 90% the past several years but our state still only has a 15% recycling rate well below the average of 35% which is very poor. The current system is not working for most of the items that can be recycled, time for fresh ideas.

2. Zofchak

Zofchak

Where are all these "Nice clean ditches on State Land" that you are talking about? :lol: I don't think the 10 cents stops many scumbags from tossing their beer cans in the ditches anymore, at least it sure doesn't seem to work very well many places that I frequent. When the 10 cent bottle return fee was enacted that "10 cents" was actually closer to 50 cents in today's dollars. Today it's barely an incentive at all, it's just a routine.

That's part of the reason my suggestion was to REPLACE the deposit law, not eliminate it. Out of the 400 million dollars in deposit revenue most of it now goes back to the customer when they return their cans. Making that 10 cent deposit a 5 cent environmental fee (You would not get it back) would not only raise a full 200 million from carbonated beverage containers, but probably twice that from other plastic drink containers that aren't currently subject to the deposit laws.

That's more than half a billion dollars per year that could be spent recycling and picking up all the trash in those ditches (Not just the empty beer and pop cans). Not only that but we could eliminate the gigantic amount of wasted time, money and effort spent on our current deposit return process.

jjlrrw likes this.

3. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

2019 - 89%
    2018 - 89%
    2017 - 91%
    2016 - 92%
    2015 - 93%
    2014 - 94%

The current system doesn't apply to most of the items that can be recycled.

4. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Our recycle bin is 3x as full as the regular garbage bin.

I seldom see a pop bottle on the side of the road. Beer cans and bottles yes. Conclusion: beer drinkers are slobs. (along with smokers and their butts)

sureshot006, on a call and Scout 2 like this.
  5. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

It's what they are doing and some of the vendors drivers are picking them up. Like I said, the coke drivers are not.

But I guess I could be wrong about it being up to the vendors.

6. Oldgrandman

Beer can morels, next time you're picking check it out sometime. ;)

Actually it's a joke we have among us picking buddies. Of course there is a morel nearby...it's a morel woods! But we can't resist using it a few times every season. "Beer can, someone marked this spot!" If even one is within 4 feet of it we say "See!"

LuckyBucks and Shoeman like this.
  7. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Screenshot_2020-05-10-21-48-44.png

Just grabbed this with can money. If I like it, I've got enough left over to see if they have one in a twenty. And that's from since April.

8. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

This was an easy decision for me. I stopped drinking pop back in May. I’ve lost weight and saved a ton of money. We returned what little Amount of pop cans we had left for about $12. I don’t mind paying the extra $.10 on craft beer, I just look at it as a luxury tax and don’t care if I can return them or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

sureshot006 and Shoeman like this.
  9. Oldgrandman

I asked the corner store.

They won't take loose bottles or cans back. If you have like a 12 pack of cans or a 6 pack of bottles in the carton, and bring them back in it they will take them.

10. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

OK, I'm tired of this crap and now have a good solution. I really don't care about the $0.10 deposit and this whole thing is stupid and pisses me off. I'm gonna fill some containers up and ship all the empties to the governor's address in Lansing and make this her problem....she started it so she should have to clean up the mess..let her deal with her decision...this should be fun...

11. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

I don't understand how people can be so disrespectful of money that they literally throw it away.

on a call likes this.
  12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

They learned that from watching congress. :eek::D:p

13. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Do not send not to send it to her in Lansing. Send it to her cottage up north via a carrier other than the USPS. They will deliver it to her address.

That is where all of the used masks should be sent too!!!

14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Got an address? I'll do it.

15. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

If you want them, send me a PM with your address and I'll give them to you boss. You can turn them and keep the money or donate them, I don't care. It's basic math. My time dealing with this could be spent at work where I make a LOT more than what I could chasing bottle returns.

MichiFishy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.