returnable containers

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by UPBeerguy, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

The bottom line is that there are many places where a person can return their empties.

Those that choose to live in remote rural areas have less options. No different than all of the other things they went without prior to this whole COVID mess.

2. on a call

on a call

Yes...my favoriite saying

DecoySlayer likes this.

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

What about the jerks that dump their unrinsed cans loose in a grocery cart leaving a trail to the can return. Hopefully the clerk at the can return sees that the cart needs to be power washed so no one puts their groceries in it.

on a call and Far Beyond Driven like this.
  4. Up hear in the U P they use them as trail markers. I don’t get it. Slobs are slobs everywhere

5. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

I have a couple buddies who do the same when they drive by my house. They're not slobs though, Just letting me know they were in the neighborhood. :)

6. Don’t be jealous that you don’t live up here in GODS country.

jiggin is livin and david boyko like this.
  7. What are friends for. Up here they just come up the driveway and leave em on the porch.

jiggin is livin and HUBBHUNTER like this.
  8. Zofchak

Zofchak

We had this discussion before, but I'll reiterate that now's the perfect time to ditch the deposit law! Not only is it a filthy process that should never be handled in retail stores (Your groceries go into the same cart that was likely filled with dirty beer cans a half hour ago o_O), but the costs and time spent sorting, storing and transporting outweigh any of the environmental benefits. We should just crush and toss them in the recycle bin (Like 90% of the country does) or for those in rural areas crush and save them for a occasional trip to the recycler where they actually pay you for them!

Drop the 10 cent deposit and replace it with a 5 cent tax on ALL cans and plastic containers (Including water bottles). Take the proceeds and use them exclusively to encourage recycling efforts and to pay full time crews to clean litter from public areas.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    bjacobs, usedtobeayooper and Dom like this.
  9. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Michigan bottle recycling rate: 90-98% depending on year.

40 states without bottle bills average bottle recycling rate: 42%

sureshot006 likes this.
  10. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Pescy ruins everything

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  11. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Statistics suck! :lol:

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. Zofchak

Zofchak

So does the difference justify what we put into it? I had two gigantic bags to return after the months long shutdown and they might have weighed 5lbs. We put far more into this process than we get out of it. It's not worth the environmental and financial costs of stores having to build floor space dedicated to accepting returnables and costly equipment that needs to be constantly cleaned, repaired and replaced. Nor is it worth the time and money spent by customers, distributors and retailers moving and storing said returnables The only people benefiting from the status quo are the aluminum recyclers/wholesalers, the companies that build and repair the bottle return machines and the people that pick up empties for spare change and beer money.

Not to mention that Michigan has a long history of container deposit laws and if we ended them tomorrow we'd still be far above the rest of the nation when it comes to recycling them. It's not like we'd go from 90% to 42% overnight.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Tracker83 likes this.
  13. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

14. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Yes.

15. Chessieman

Chessieman

So what about our nice clean ditches and state land? Were you around when we did not have it? Bottles and cans at all the state parking areas and in the woods. You would sink your cans and bottles in the lakes rather than deal with them. Hell, I think they should put a $2 deposit on all bait bags and the money not refunded goes to a reward for poaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.