Repairing Anti-Reverse On a Reel?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by deputy865, Jul 1, 2015.

1. deputy865

deputy865

My Quantum Kinetic PTi 20 Spinning reel has had this issue for awhile... no matter which way I position the anti-reverse lever, it likes to reel backwards anyways. To remedy this I either 1. Ignored it while fishing or 2. Didn't use the reel... Well, it was my first reel I ever bought when I was young, I've owned it for 10 years now and I figured it deserved to be fixed.

After tearing the reel down, I've come to find the culprit is the clutch assembly (part # 29 below). It seems there is a bearing cage inside of the assembly itself. After searching the issue out, it seems that people have been gluing/adhereing the bearing/cage to the assembly. However, there is no mention as to how they are doing it. Can someone shed some light for me on how I can fix it?

But Shane, why not just buy a new Clutch Assembly? None are in stock and I can't find any..

Shane

[​IMG]

2. redeyed

redeyed

I had the same problem with a Quantum spinning reel. I finally took it to Joes Bait and Tackle on Jefferson, they sent it out to be repaired. It cost me $35; so far, it works fine.

3. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

Sometimes the anti-reverse bearings get flat spots on them, try turning them 180 deg and see if that works.

4. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

This is an issue with their magnetic anti reverse. I stopped buying Quantum's because of this and went to Shimano. Shame, because Quantum has what I think is the best drag out there. Item 29 on the schematics is the culprit. You need to thoroughly clean the shaft and bearing cartridge. Will work for a little while and you will have to clean again. Get it wet and all bets are off. Nothing worse then setting the hook on a salmon or steelhead and have your reel go into free spin, what a mess. :(

5. MIfishslayer91

MIfishslayer91

Man, you're lucky yours lasted ya 10 years! I had 2 quantums and the same problem happened, but alot sooner. I ended up sticking my shimanos back on and have switched around with pfleuger, Abu Garcia, shimano, and bps reels since with no problems.

6. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

Same problem with mine a few years back. They only lasted 3 and 5 years switched over to the spinfisher V and have had no problems so far. They seem to be built a lot tougher plus the drag is awesome.

7. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I'm really surprised to see a krapnetic last someone as long also - hell waterfoul pitched his in the junk box after one season B/C of a flat spot in the bearings.
    Ray said it best, clean it and clean it again if you want it to last any longer, Shane .
    That old of a reel really doesn't owe you anything - I have a few 25 year old Shimano reels I use on ice for perch B/C the drags are still "so-so" and have moved on.
    I have about 8 Spirex 2000/2500's and they don't get used much B/C I like the lightness of the Okuma RTX30's that Percha Man turned me on to a few seasons ago.
    8/175 yd capacity and 6.6 oz is pretty easy to get used to and if you want some super smooth bearings and just can't wait to break in the stock ones - change them...lol

8. FishKilla419

FishKilla419

I had the same problem with the first 2 stradics I bought. And the first energy pti. Returned the quantum and junked the shimanos.
    Never had the problem with my higher end daiwas, pflugers, or abu's.

9. tator

tator

those anti-reverse roller bearings get oil in them and won't work. it all works on magnetics, and
    won't work with oil on them.
    i've fixed a bunch of them on all kinds of reels.
    just clean the oil from the bearings, and the part that the bearings roll against.
    it will work them.

-Axiom- and Ranger Ray like this.
  10. flowie

flowie

You would be surprised at what you can find...I repaired a Shimano spirex from 1996 recently. I found a place in florida that had a little plastic cam for the quickfire mechanism....actually I bought 2.:p

11. wolverines

wolverines

Throw it away and stick with Shimano. Use the money you saved to get a higher end real then you planned on. Shimano drags are among the best out there.

Every Quantum spinning real I've ever owned did as you described.

12. sideshow

sideshow

lock tite 29 and 33 together

13. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

One way roller bearings of all brands wear out. I have had Quantum, Shimano, and Daiwa roller bearings quit working properly. A good cleaning sometimes works for a while. They are easily replaced, but by the time the old reel wears the bearing, it’s hardly worth buying a new one. Just get a new reel.

tincanary likes this.
  14. tincanary

tincanary

I have some Abu Ambassadeurs that are over 20 years old with the original IAR bearings. I clean them out yearly with acetone and lubricate with a drop of Reel X. Abu used grease on them from the factory. Most every Ambassadeur I rebuild, I install a backup AR dog just in case the IAR bearing fails. The bearing is easy to replace if you have a press.