Removing the front treble hook on a Jitterbug or any minnowbait for that matter.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mrjimspeaks, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mrjimspeaks

mrjimspeaks

Was doing a kayak fishing and a treble hook got caught in my deck rigging and snapped while I was taking it out. Will this affect my hook ups much or not really?

2. CrazyJ

CrazyJ

With a jitterbug, i would say no. I usually get em on the rear hook anyways. With longer lures, yes it might affect hookups. Treble hooks are fairly cheap, you could always replace it if your worried. Jmo EDIT: No front hook on your bug might make the front to light, which might effect the lures action. You'll have to try it and see what happens.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010

3. duxdog

duxdog

It will affect some and not others. Try it out and see. I remove the front hook on alot of minnow baits when trout fishing because it is hard on the fish. Some of them seem to run better.

4. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Split ring and a hook are cheap, but you have to buy a package of each... No singles...

5. mrjimspeaks

mrjimspeaks

The action seemed fine last night, and it wasn't getting fouled up on the front hook like it was doing on occasion.

6. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

When fishing flatfish, I get most hits on the front treble...

7. DaveW731

DaveW731

I think that is true for most crankbaits. If I had to choose between taking off the front or back, I would take off the back, in terms of hookup percentages.

8. this is because most fish hit head on. but on a surface lure different fish species hit differently, I notice pike like to try and come up and over it from behind. Young pike will often jump over the lure when attempting to strike. while bass suck it in from underneath most times.

9. diztortion

diztortion

Taking the back hook off will also help prevent snags. The bill protects the hook from snagging up.

10. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Not sure on those lures, but used to cast all the time off point lookout in Augres for walleye while in waders, and the husky jerks would hit bottom coming up the slope and hang up on front treble alot. We always removed them, since most of the time walleye were caught on one of the other 2. Helps save from losing alot of lures. These are the shallow husky's with small lip, not the deep divers. The action was never effected.