Remington Gamemaster 760...270 win. code stamped ZZ.. ( 1953)

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by glockman55, Jan 16, 2020.

1. glockman55

glockman55

I traded for a Great old Rifle in 99% condition.. spent over 50 years in a safe.. Remington 760.. Bausch & Lomb Scope, old school adjustable base,, Very nice,, DSCN0158.JPG DSCN0158.JPG DSCN0159.JPG DSCN0161.JPG DSCN0165.JPG

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Ah yes. My grandpas (now passed on to my dad) is the same model but in 30-06. Great shooting gun and extremely reliable. Yours looks brand spanking new!

glockman55 likes this.

3. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. You did very well to get a great rifle and scope combination. All the best...
    Gil

glockman55 likes this.
  4. Dvin98

Dvin98

I love the way those rifles handle and point, just like an 870 or 1100 Remington. Beautiful looking gun you have there.

glockman55 and sureshot006 like this.
  5. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Nice rifle. I've got one of those (same year) in 300 Savage. I had one from 1955 in 35 Remington that I sold to a buddy. They are fun to shoot, but it took awhile for me to shoot mine well. I wasn't used to having to use my support hand so far forward.

glockman55 likes this.
  6. langkg

langkg

That is an awesome rifle in amazing shape!!
    I have a 760 in .35 Rem. It was my grandpas rifle. I remember looking up the serial number once and it was early 60s if I remember right. The best I know from my family is that he never shot a deer that they could ever remember. It was handed down to me over 30 years ago as nobody in my family hunts except me. I killed my first deer with it. I’ll never part with it. Special rifle to me even though it’s a safe queen now.

glockman55 and Tilden Hunter like this.
  7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Best shot I ever witnessed on a running deer was with a 760. Enjoy that rifle!

glockman55 and sureshot006 like this.
  8. sureshot006

I hunted with Grandpa's 760 a few times and shot a few bucks :) IMG_0930.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_0953 (1).JPG

Swampdog467 and Quack Addict like this.
  9. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

The 760 is a nice old school rifle. The couple that I've seen were great shooters and not plagued with the accuracy and reliability issues of the 740 and 742.

That B&L scope is great glass. What model is it? Appears to be a variable power scope. I have a Balfor B that was on my dad's 742 installed on a muzzleloader now. Just shot this group with it a couple weeks ago @100 yards after some major work on that rifle. Not bad for an old ML with a 4x scope... 20200104_160250.jpeg

Swampdog467 likes this.
  10. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

[​IMG]

That's a really nice picture.

sureshot006 likes this.
  11. sureshot006

Thank you.

I have a few more from that day... deer thru the scope and a couple similar to this with deer in the field. That rifle will put em where you put the crosshairs and it has a LOT of deer under its belt.

The tag alder around that tower blind grew up super thick and pines grew tall covering the shooting area. Should bring it back to life...

12. glockman55

glockman55

EG7437 2.5-8X40... but I see they are called this online..Model :
    BALVAR 8A

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  13. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

B&L started out as a company where 1 of the names was an optometrist / perfectionist and the other guy a financier. They made some stellar glass that was on par with many of the big names today. Bushnell eventually acquired B&L and rebranded the designs as their "Elite" series scopes.

Based on some research, I think that Balfor B now on my ML was made in the late 60's. I believe the variable power B&L's (like yours) are newer. I know mine has had a couple thousand rounds across it; first 30-06 and for about the last 15 years on a 50-cal ML. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I have had 'better' scopes give up the ghost with far lower round count...

glockman55 likes this.
  14. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

My dad had a .35 760 for years before he upgraded to a 7600 in .30-06 (his words, not mine). They are reliable, quick, accurate rifles.

I owned a 760 in .270 for a few years. It was highly accurate—as good as most of my bolts. There was nothing wrong with the rifle, but I didn’t like the fore end weight when waiting out a buck behind a tree, and I traded it away when I needed cash for something else. Sometimes I wish I had it back for range sessions; it was a good rifle.

glockman55 and Tilden Hunter like this.