Remington Core Lokt miss-fire

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dewy6068, Dec 26, 2018.

1. dewy6068

dewy6068

C1E7F4E3-D2E0-4810-8BD8-1066F06E4204.jpeg This is a first for me! I’ve been shooting these bullets for almost 20 years and never had one fail to fire! Tonight my wife was doe hunting with her 30-06 with 150 grain core lokt PSP bullets and when she pulled the trigger on a big doe just 40 yds away all it did was click! Needless to say, she is not happy and never did get a shot off at her.

I read on here a week or 2 ago that someone else had a similar issue...anyone else have these issues with this round recently?

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

There was an earlier thread about just this topic. What you're showing looks like a borderline light hit, meaning maybe the gun, maybe the ammo, to me.

3. monkman

monkman

Been shooting that and the Winchester 150 grain for about 10 years...no issues what so ever.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

4. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I had the same this year. First time ever. Have shot 12 rounds of Federal after issue, no problem. No doubt in my mind, in my case, it's the bullets.

5. graybeard

graybeard

Look at that primer,doesn't look like it is seated right.

Chessieman likes this.
  6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Although I completely agree, it doesn't look seated right... no way you can really tell by that pic. It APPEARS raised when it should be very slightly recessed but I think the pic is deceiving.

Now the firing pin strike does appear a bit off center.

7. Pelican257R

Pelican257R

X2 on the improperly seated primer. May not have fully engaged the anvil.
    The firing pin strike also looks a little weak.
    I trust Federal much more than W or R.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  8. sureshot006

What about it appears not seated properly?

If dewey says its raised above the case, or crooked, I'd agree it's not seated right. Absent that info, it's hard to say my eye is calibrated to the thousandths of an inch.

9. dewy6068

dewy6068

I’m hoping to be able to take a closer look at the shell tomorrow evening. After it didn’t fire she was worried it might go off so she dropped out the blind window to the ground and didn’t find it in the dark.

I will say, this gun has never miss fired and it’s about 20 years old. It is lubricated with a very thin rem oil out of an aerosol can for the past 20 years and this is the first issue its ever had. I’m very confident that this is not a gun issue.

Swampdog467 and sureshot006 like this.
  10. sureshot006

So is the round in the pic the actual misfired round?

11. dewy6068

dewy6068

Yes, took pic right after racking it out of gun...

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. sureshot006

I had multiple misfires due to improperly seated primers. However, they were hand loads and I had not seated them deep enough. Looking at fresh rounds, I could tell the primers were protruding. After the firing pin hit, the primer was pushed in and fully seated. The primer strike also looked "weak". A second attempt fired the "bad" rounds.

Yours being factory rounds, and seeing the dent, it doesn't seem likely it was a seating problem to me. Doesn't look like a light strike, but then again it's hard to tell with the lighting in the pic. It doesn't LOOK like the strike was centered though... not sure how far off center it can be and still crush against the anvil.

13. Pelican257R

Pelican257R

Hard to tell from just the pic posted, but the primer does appear to be a little crooked.
    I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that on some bolt action guns, if the bolt gets bumped out of fully closed position, it may cause a light strike on the primer.
    All conjecture here.

sureshot006 likes this.
  14. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

What kind of rifle? Could the bolt have been partially up? Only other thing I could think would cause this or your right it's the shell....

15. dewy6068

dewy6068

It is a Savage model 110.

Doghouse 5 likes this.