Rem 700 or xbolt. 6.5

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by NorthWoodsHunter, Feb 21, 2018.

1. NorthWoodsHunter

NorthWoodsHunter

Had my mind set on a 700 for a new 6.5 but then came across a deal on a clean x-bolt. Not too familiar with that rifle but it felt good in the hand. Any first hand experience comparisons.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

Of those two I would easily choose the X-Bolt. I just wouldn’t want a real long barrel that a few of the Brownings may have, 22” or so is plenty.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

What’s your planned primary use? Target or hunting.

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

If it’s for primarily target use check out the Savage LRH before you make a decision.

5. NorthWoodsHunter

NorthWoodsHunter

The one i was looking at had a 22" barrel - as did the Remington. This would be primarily a hunting rifle. Deer to coyotes for Michigan for now and possible future out west hunts. I know this is overkill for coyotes but some added range would be nice for the call shy dogs that hang up further than i'd push my AR. 90% of what i shoot is out of prime fur season anyways so DRT is more important than fur friendly.

6. sourdough44

sourdough44

Living in MI I’d imagine the vast majority of use would be for deer hunting. Don’t overlook the used market on Armslist and other sources.

7. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Keep in mind the new 700’s have the lawyers trigger, after the lawsuits. A gunsmith won’t work on them. You’d have to replace it with a Timney.

Older 700’s are fine, but won’t be in that
    cartridge.

Quack Addict likes this.
  8. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Like PF said, triggers in the new Remington 700's suck. I picked up a new Rem 700 about 2 years ago and the stock trigger was horrendous in it. My trigger pull gauge showed it broke at over 8# (not kidding). The stock trigger is supposedly adjustable, but evenso I couldn't get it to reduce much.

Contrast that to a new Howa I acquired at about the same time. The stock trigger in that rifle breaks at 3#.

If you go with the 700, plan on installing an aftermarket trigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Yup, Howa’s shoot nice. I heard the Mossberg Patriot is good for a more budget minded rifle.
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/mossberg-patriot-rifle-28026/

10. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

hk_sl8, Forest Meister and LG1 like this.
  11. bearman49709

bearman49709

I bought my X-bolt in .308 Win back on 11-27-08 and its still my favorite rifle. It is more accurate than all five savage rifles I used to own, even beating my Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA.
    Needless to say I vote for the X-bolt over the Remington.

12. NorthWoodsHunter

NorthWoodsHunter

Good to hear. The rifle this will be "replacing" is a weatherby vanguard and has been a reliable -deer rifle for years.

13. Masterblaster1

Masterblaster1

I just got a tikka t3x 6.5, for the same money as a remington 700 sps I felt the tikka was a far higher quality rifle. Fit/finish and options wise. 1 Moa guaranteed with quality ammo. Can't speak to the browning..

14. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Tikka is basically the lower end of Sako. Sako’s are very well for great accuracy.

I love my old M700’s, but I’m not fond of much new Remington, other than custom shop stuff.

Tikka is a much better option. And, Tikka also comes in a 6.5x55.

15. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Never seen an A-bolt or X-bolt that wasn’t a shooter. The plus of an X-bolt is that the bolt locks when you put on the safety. With e the m700 your bolt will open with your safety on, can be a pain when don’t notice the bolt has moved or opens when catches on something. For the same price browning all the way.