close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

refreezing fish?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by jimbo, Jun 5, 2017.

1. jimbo

jimbo

anyone ever tried to refreeze fish ? & how bad was it?
    I have a couple of buddies that are having a big birthday party next week.
    (50, 60 & their FIL just turned 90)
    They asked me if I could bring some gills & fry them.
    They also said a bunch of others would bring in some gill for me to fry also.
    Sound like there could be 200 fish
    now add in a pig.
    Im afraid we'll have all this thawed out fish to fry & people will only eat about half of it.
    Should we try refreezing it or just bag it up & give it away?

2. Bms

Bms

Fry it up, if it's not eaten that day you could refrigerate for a few days, but find out details, especially if there is "other" meat, just don't cook that much fish, just cook enough you know will get ate, let the stranglers eat pork

3. U D

U D

Fry the fish. You can freeze cooked Pork. I would not bother re-freezing fish.

4. jimbo

jimbo

think I'll bring some baggies & let the ones that bring some grab n growl first

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006

you can refreeze it but my guess is it would be a little mushy after thawing the 2nd time.

I prefer thawing them slowly since for some reason they seem to turn out with better texture that way, but if you're in a pinch maybe just thaw as much as you think you'll fry and keep the rest frozen as backup? Could probably thaw it relatively quick depending on how big a block they're frozen in now.

jimbo likes this.
  6. JBhunter45

JBhunter45

Fry in batches, only what they will eat. Take some home for you're "cooks tip". After 4-5 pieces or beers they might not eat much more.

I have made leftover fish sandwiches a few days after frying, reheat in the oven, wont get chewy like in a microwave. Fish tacos might also work. It should last a few days uncooked in the fridge if there's some left unused.

jiggin is livin and jps like this.
  7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Yup, tends to loose the texture.....

8. jimbo

jimbo

yes, I thaw mine out slowly too.
    freezer to fridge 3-4 days before fish fries.
    cold water sink that last day

Iv'e never really quick thawed fish before

9. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yeah... I have done it under the kitchen faucet with cool water. Takes a few minutes but in a pinch its better than nothing.

I honestly think you should just bring a few bags and call it good. There will be other things to eat. No sense in wasting your hard earned fillets.

10. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I have put gills back in the freezer.. Never noticed a difference.

With a pig, I wouldn't worry about not having enough fish. If you have leftovers it looks like you will be eating bluegill sandwiches for the next couple of days lol.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  11. bd670

bd670

Every pound of fish you fry is a pound less pork that gets ate...I would err on the light side with the fish. If you run out its not like there going to go hungry right....

jiggin is livin and jimbo like this.
  12. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

i have refroze cooked fish and they are fine not as good as fresh cooked but better than no fish. use micro wave with paper towel on top to reheat..

7mmsendero likes this.
  13. jimbo

jimbo

I hate cold fish.
    The guy tells me nit worry .
    He doesn't think we'll have enough to satisfy everyone.
    So I'll bring a few baggies n extra batter & IF there's extra, we'll give it away

14. alex-v

alex-v

We have done 1 gallon bags of frozen Walleye for a major fish-fry. Sometimes we keep bags frozen until the last minute. If you need to the under the faucet trick will work but goes through a lot of water. We would just place the bag of frozen fish into a cooler or bucket and fill it up with water. Dump the cold water out every now and then and refill with faucet temp water. Thaws pretty quick without having to stand there and nurse the water flow from the faucet.
    /////

jiggin is livin likes this.
  15. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yeah that's a much more hands off approach. Just takes quite a bit longer relative to flowing water. In the end it might actually take just as many gallons, too. For a gallon size block of fish it sounds more convenient especially if you're at a party. Several quart bags are easier to thaw than a gallon though.

alex-v and jiggin is livin like this.