close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Refilling one pound propane tanks - How to video

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by ih772, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bassgetty

bassgetty

always kept them in the garage and never had any problems untill the last couple weekends. will keep them in the house and see what happens, thanx

2. Chrome steel

Chrome steel

Depending on how cold it gets, especially below zero.

Sent from my C525c using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. Paperboy 1

Paperboy 1

We've not had a winter like this either since trees started growing! My refills take a bit to kick in in this cold. Love not having to keep buying 1#ers.:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

4. zeeke33

zeeke33

Look at the bright side. Great year for sticking your empties out fhe night before so they are well below Zero for a great temp.difference for filling! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  5. Paperboy 1

Paperboy 1

Amen brother!! Wife can't complain about tanks in the freezer.....:eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  6. jdmichigander

jdmichigander

Buy a five pound tank and adapter hose safer and last longer

7. Kill-N-Time

Kill-N-Time

Another trick is stand empty 1 lber on table and press a screwdriver onto the value to let out only air . Seems to make room for the gas . Helped to get it full ?

8. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I usually refill multiple tanks in one sesion. Each one is left in the freezer until i am ready to connect it. Nevertheless, I have noticed that each tank takes less propane (by net weight) than the one before. So, first tank may take on 14 oz, next 12, next 11, etc. Same result even when using a new 20# to fill from. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

9. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Jim, How warm is your #20 tank? I've found having better fill rates if the #20 is warm, if your trying to fill #1's this time of year or anytime its less than the temp in your house bring the #20 in and leave it overnight to warm up. Another less recommended method and must be done very careful at and only is a very well ventilated area (*which you should be in anyways) is if it wont fill to 14-16 oz is to "burp" the one pounder allowing any trapped air to escape then try it again. I away's use and highly recommend using a scale to measure how much is being filled and never overfill them.

10. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I keep the 20# tank in the basement overnight and the 1# empties in the freezer before a filling session. Perhaps repeated fillings has led to air or water vapor in the 1#ers, although I'm not sure how. Seems like air or other gaseous impurities would be above the propane fluid level and since I fill from a fully inverted 20# such things would not get into the 1#. I use the Rhino swap-out 20# propane tanks if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

11. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

I put 1# cylinders in freezer or outside during winter, then put the 20# cylinder in the laundry utility sink and fill the sink with hot water, let it sit 10-15 minutes. This helps the transfer by increasing the vapor pressure in the large tank.

12. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Hey Jim, I just a #20 refilled over the weekend and the guy at the propane place had to open the bleeder on it to get it to take a full fill, he said the same thing. "After so many refills you get some air trapped in the tank that has to be bled off". Make sense but again something to be very care doing with the one pounders. ;)

13. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Hey, while we're on the subject does anyone know were to get those plastic caps that cover and protect the end of the 1 pounders? I've got plenty of bottles but I've about run out of caps. I've searched the internet and couldnt find them and I refuse to buy those brass caps, I'm just too darn cheap! LOL! I do try to look for and pick up caps when I see the tanks laying around but it runs about a 3:1 ratio, tanks to caps.

PerchOnly likes this.
  14. Jigawhat

Jigawhat

Know what you mean.
    When running low, I make my own out of electrical tape. Lightly wrap several rounds of tape around the threaded end, then twist off your new 'caps'.