Reel size for Detroit river...

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by natureboy2534, Apr 24, 2018.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Just purchased a fenwick walleye elete 6'3 rod and paired it up with a Pflueger president 20 reel. My last set up was a Bass pro 6'6 fast action with a pfluger summit 25 and that work fine on my home waters (Saginaw river). Just wanted to lose a little weight so dropped to the 20 on reel. Only make it to Detroit river a couple times (if lucky) a year. I know there are possibilities to hook into a stergon down there and im really not that lucky anyways. So my question to all that are using a smaller reel ,was this a bad move to drop to that size? Im sure im good on Saginaw river for the carp and cats but now im double thinking my decision. Love the feel of the new out fit well balanced and light.
    Any inputs or suggestions will be appreciated. ..I just know you guys down there have some bigger fish and seeing what size reels you run...

Thanks..

2. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Your good with the 20...I just down sized this year. Wish I wouldve done it years ago!

natureboy2534 likes this.

3. NEW HUDSON WALT

NEW HUDSON WALT

All my reels are Shimano..different models but all 2000 series with 10 lb. braided line.
    Was lucky enough to hook a few muskie over the years while walleye fishing and the
    reel got the job done.:):):)

marty59 and natureboy2534 like this.
  4. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I just rigged up two rods of the 5'9" size... used a reel similar in size to what you did in the interest in reducing weight. I know my wrist and hand will like it!

5. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Was wanting the 5'9 but they had none stocked. And needed it before our opener on Saginaw river..Way better feel in hand than what I was using, cant wait to see on water on Saturday. Also run 2 rods, cant do 1 just dont feel right..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. bambislayer09

bambislayer09

I also run a size 20 reel, it really makes a difference on your arm and wrist when jigging for hours. However I hooked into a sturgeon on Sunday, it jumped twice and had it up to the boat once before it spooled me for the 3rd time and broke off. I would estimate the length @ 60''. Made me think twice about having the smaller reel.

7. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

That sucks, I probably be thinking the same thing as you. But dont really have many in our system like you guys do. But ill take better feeling arms after a long day of fishing than having to worry about getting spooled out on a fish ill probably never hook up with..

8. bambislayer09

bambislayer09

I hear you, just so you know I'll still be running at size 20 next time I'm on the river...

9. marty59

marty59

We run strickly Shimano 1000 size. The Shimano Sahara at 6.8 oz is a very light reel and doesn't strain my old mucles when out for extended periods! I beleive the 1000 series have 8# drag which has brought up 10# walleye in the river with no problem!

Marty

10. Shlack

Shlack

I use 2000 series on all of my rods for jigging the DR. You are for sure good to go. You could even use 1000 series reels, but i think the 2000 balances on the rods better for me. If you hook a sturgeon you are not going to horse it in anyways and if it goes on a run you will have to chase it with your boat with pretty much any reel that would be reasonable to jig with. If you figure the DR is only about 50ft deep max in most areas you don't need all that much line. Good luck out there.

11. bambislayer09

bambislayer09

Good point Shlack, we were chasing him around for over 30 minutes until there were too many boats around and he went on a good run. But that’s very true, unless your jigging with a salmon combo you probably wouldn’t have enough line capacity with any reel.

12. Grandriverrat

Grandriverrat

I hooked into three last year that i was pretty sure were sturgeon. Two of those twenty minutes apart. I try and horse them in because I don't want everyone else in the boat waiting while I screw around trying to land this fish and I don't want to screw up people surrounding my in the same drift. Don't get me wrong landing one of these on lighter tackle would be great just but under different circumstances.