reel choice? and why?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Timberdoodle2, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

what would your choice be between a older curado E7 series vrs a new curado K series?
    i am also looking at a lews BB1 pro model. thanks for any insight you can offer.

2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

My choice would be a Daiwa Zillion. Casts a mile, prefer their magforce spool control, and Daiwas have been much more durable for me than Shimanos.

Doghouse 5 and 357Maximum like this.

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

4. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

which one of the zillions?

5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

That is a matter of personal preference. I have 6 Zillions of four different models. I have one I think the gear ratio is to fast for anything I do, but they all rock.

6. mattman

mattman

You already know I'm a shimano guy. I would go an e7. after the G series I think the curados go cheap. A consideration for me I were everything is located on the reels. Daiwa has their cast control right where my palm puts the most pressure, I would hear it click while setting the hook and never remember my settings. I know that's nitpicky but it bugged me enough not to buy them anymore. I also tried a Revo stx and for some reason the drag will slip on me randomly, It could just be the reel I have but it also doesn't seem to cast as far as my curados even though its newer. As far a quantum goes I have an exo pt and it casts far just isn't as smooth and doesn't seem like it will hold up. 13 seems to have some good reels even though I haven't personally owned one I have messed with a buddies and he likes it so far.

7. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

what re the pros and cons of gear ratios the e5 vrs the e7? i am not a tournament fisherman so using that input what are your thoughts

8. mattman

mattman

I’m mostly a fun fisherman too. The only reason I go with high speed gear ratios is to get the fish back to the boat as fast as I can to try to catch another. I find hooksets are more fun than fighting fish. I will use slower ratios just to slow down my presentation. I have a hard time reeling slow, so slower gear ratio helps.

9. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

this just a public thank you, to mattman for his offer to look at my reels and his friendly welcome.. this is what forums are good for, others helping others and matt fills the bill perfectly.

mattman likes this.
  10. d7645

d7645

I have three Daiwa casting reels now and love them....smooth and cast well. I also like the shape of Daiwa’s casting reels...they fit hand very well for comfort. If you have arthritis is wrist and fingers as I do, that’s important.