red squirrels and chipmunks

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by wpmisport, Mar 1, 2018.

1. wpmisport

wpmisport

They seem to have really increased in recent years. I know that I am not the only one noticing this. I will get rid of about 20 each year now. I have used different methods but now using a pellet gun. I am good with the bigger squirrels running around but the these little critters will destroy anything. What is the reason that there are so many now?

Quack Addict likes this.
  2. bobberbill

bobberbill

No predators that can get to them..

3. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Plenty of predators for those critters.

I heard once upon a time that Mange will cycle through the Red Squirrel population, creating peaks and valleys in their total numbers.

I would like to learn more about that, and Red Squirrels in general. I have been wondering which University might have the Wildlife Biology Professor that is the known nationwide expert on Red Squirrels, and would like to read some college textbook level material on them.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  4. Waif

Waif

No red squirrels here.
    A couple chipmunks.
    Between the nesting pair of hawks close by each spring ,and the neighbors cats rodents have to be sharp.
    Second season in a row of low acorn production has the mice down in numbers. A decade low this winter.
    Squirrels manage a couple survivors each year. Watched a hawk land on a squrrel nest hard a year or two back checking for squirrel.

5. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

A dog proof coon trap works really good for chippies. A little corn or peanuts dropped inside and I get one or two per day pretty much all summer. Don't know where they keep coming from but they aren't staying here.

6. birdhntr

birdhntr

When they become a problem which they always do.Get a 5 gallon bucket,fill it 2/3 with water,add a couple scoops of sunflower seeds,scatter some seeds around, and either put a board for a ramp or place it where against something they can climb!.I have been over run by them before.damages to home,crawl space,brick pavers,and the damage my dogs do trying to get them.First day I set the trap I got 33 chipmunks, and 2 red squirrels by the time I came home.

6Speed, jr28schalm and garyrodbender like this.
  7. garyrodbender

garyrodbender

I used to get 10-12 each year,that was my most efficient way of getting rid of them as well. Keep up the good work,thats a schit-load of chipmunks ;)

slowpaya likes this.
  8. bobberbill

bobberbill

Pellet gun. Not as foolproof as the suicide bucket, but good for trigger control.

9. neazor91

neazor91

Rat traps with a glob of peanut butter on the pan works just fine for both.

10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

I put a piece of hardware cloth on the pan and fill with sunflower seeds you can use it over and over again .

neazor91 likes this.
  11. birdhntr

birdhntr

That year was crazy.The year of the lemmings lol.They have spikes in population.There was a lot of dogs on my street but no cats back then.The dogs would destroy my back yard going after them.gutters,siding corner posts,and then chewed all off my abs parts and such under my new truck.Pellet gun wasn't working as there was so many.I kept finding a little yellow spot next to my glass nut jar and didn't give it much thought.Then one day the dogs wanted under the stove.pulled the drawer out and wham the lab nailed it and down the hatch whole in seconds.Then I realized why they wanted them so bad.It was food to them two dogs.lol

wpmisport likes this.
  12. plugger

plugger Premium Member

my wife and I usually shoot about a hundred a year from around the bird feeder and flower beds. As someone stated it is great trigger practice, we use a marlin 22 mag. If you can head shoot chipmunks and red squirrels at 30 yards deer are easy.

13. garyrodbender

garyrodbender

For sure,I really like to shoot them too .
    I have a custom volquartsen ruger 10-22 that is very very accurate ;)

Perferator likes this.
  14. Perferator

Perferator

If not for an accurate airgun the red squirrels would overrun us here on the lake. When the first of March when we had 30deg temps they came filing out of the woods. I have shot approx 40 and now down to 1-4 each week. We could use a pine marten or two.

garyrodbender likes this.
  15. Perferator

Perferator

I have the 10-22 with Clerke 16” heavy barrel and Hogue OM stock. Sure is a lot of fun and good for marksmanship skills.

garyrodbender likes this.