close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

red prickly berry?

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by Banditto, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Banditto

Banditto

I was in a hurry and stumbled upon a bush full of red prickly berries. Not the plant mind as far as I could tell but the berries themselves.

Any ideas?

2. Will Work For Fish

Will Work For Fish

Forty years ago, my grandmother grew several currents, several gooseberries among other small fruits on her farm. One bush had spines on the edible, red, globular fruit, although I can't be certain, look into those two. And new breeding may have eliminated the pesky pickers from the skin, you may have to look for a heirloom cultivar. Good luck.

3. Banditto

Banditto

sweet. I am going north next weekend to bust out a floor drain. I will try and get over to the property to take some pictures. odd thing I have NEVER seen a fruit like this. It caught me completely off guard. I hope it is edible fruit.

I thought it might be some type of gooseberry but I couldn't find pictures to match it.

4. hitechman

hitechman Michimaniac

5. Banditto

Banditto

it's not exactly those. Not as prickly, more odd shaped with less spines. The berries are red and green at the same time.

6. hitechman

hitechman Michimaniac

I believe that you are referring to the "Wild Prickly Gooseberry". Common in Michigan. Some have some red in them when they are ripening, but MOST turn a green (2-tone striped) when ripe. Also referred to as wild green current and dogberry by some.

Not many good photos on the net, but take a peek here (gooseberries): scroll to page 69 and look at the photo of the berry in the lower left.

Another give-away is the leaf shape. Over the years I have seen 2-3 different species on my treks through the woods. Some have no spines on the fruit, but they do one the stems (some on both). I have also seen a wide variety in the coloration of the fruit.

Steve

7. Banditto

Banditto

Ack! I went back last weekend and wouldn't you know but all the berrys were gone! every single one was picked off by some animal. I have kicked bears out of my black berry patch so it doesn't surprise me but I was a little bummed being I wanted to take some pictures at least...

Oh and our black berry plants are still 3-4 weeks from being ripe.