close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red Oak BMU concerns

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Rooster Cogburn, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Biggbear

Biggbear

Rooster-

In your post above you seem to be inferring that because more bears are killed on the eastern side of Red Oak that is an indication of bear population. It's actually simply an indication of where most people hunt. One would think that people would hunt where most of the bears live, but that's just an assumption. I've hunted the western side of Red Oak twice in the last 4 years and I was very surprised at the number individual bears hitting my baits. I'm not suggesting that my experience is indicative of the population across all of Red Oak, but by looking at the map in this post you wouldn't think many bears at all live in the area I hunted (I'm one of the red dots) and that isn't accurate.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

What years are your dots?

3. Biggbear

Biggbear

2016. I didn't get one the first time I drew a tag.

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The bear kill location map was part of the December 2016 Bear Forum Power Point presentation. which means the map is from 2015. Your bear kill location would have been shown in the December 2017 Bear Forum Power Point presentation which I did not attend due to previous commitments.

5. Biggbear

Biggbear

Sorry, my mistake I thought someone mentioned in this thread that the map was from 2016 and that 2017 hadn't come out yet, I misunderstood. Then I guess in 2015 someone was hunting very close to where I hunted.

6. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

We have two many bears on the property's in hunt in red oak. Populations could be much lower in my opinion. It might make sense to make a separate area for club country. Lots of food plots with clover that bears love. Less human interaction for the most part compared to some state land. When the bears finds food plots and no one to bother them they call it home. Sows have better health for producing cubs. Have heard of many old bears shot over the years out of club country. Last time I bear hunted had over 21 different bears on camera. Some camps have trouble finding people with tags to shoot a bear. We have been lucky enough to find one or two hunters every year for several years. Even though most are successful we don't really notice a decrease in bears.

7. swampbuck

swampbuck

They would have gotten a white oak BMU, if they didn't demand that tags be allotted to the clubs.

8. Hoegemeyer

Hoegemeyer

Everybody says that farmers should have to let people on their farms to kill deer. If club country wants a separate white oak then they should have to let people on the clubs to hunt bear. Seems fair.

jeffm likes this.
  9. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

Doesn't matter to me if they have separate management areas or one. Just thought it makes more sense to better manage club country and other areas. I think more hunters and land owners might be satisfied with two units. Iam sure some clubs allow other hunters to come in and bear hunt. The clubs don't own the bears but the some bears call it home and land owners have to deal with the damage they cause. We lose multiple apple trees every year, they eat wheat out of the food plots when seed heads become ripe. They can eat a lot of corn out of the food plots and makes planting corn almost a waste of time and money. The management area should based on bear density and not clubs in my opinion.

10. sureshot006

sureshot006

They damaged an apple tree? Kill em all I guess. One bear or 20, they like apples.

Hoegemeyer likes this.