close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommmended Reading

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by gunrod, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BIG "D"

BIG "D"

In Search of Trout by Peter Barrett. If you can find it. Great stories fly fishing all over USA with great friend, Ted Trueblood.

2. Bowshep

Bowshep

100 Deadly Trout and Salmon Flies. In step by step photographs.

l have had this book for 3 years now and still have not made all the fly's. It is easy to follow the steps with pictures for the process. The fly's are broken down into lots of different categories like type of fly's, for what fish and the difficulty levels of all the fly's.

Their is also a little write up with info that may contain origin, history, or tricks to creating the fly or when to use the fly.

The best Magazine l have found is FlyFusion it is a Canadian magazine but don't let that stop you from having a look at it. It is a great read with lots of information and the latest fly's but they mostly concentrate on Trout (but l think they all do that).

Ken

Ken

3. flycaster1

flycaster1

Time to restart this thread:

True Love and the Woolly Bugger- Dave Ames
    Any of the three books written by W.D. Wetherell. Fascinating Vermont writer.
    Silent Seasons- Russell Chatham and friends
    Fishless Days, Angling Nights- Sparse Gray Hackle

Many of my other faves have already been mentioned, so I won't duplicate them here. None of the above are "tie this fly" or "fish this way" books. Love those, but on a cold winter evening, I like to settle in with just good reads.

Chuck

4. swampswede

swampswede

I bought a copy of "The Angler's Guide to 12 Classic Trout Streams in Michigan - Second Edition written by Gerth Hendrikson and most recently updated by Jim DuFresne. This book is loaded with all kinds of helpful information including coordinates to access points. I have not been able to put this book down. A great read and highly recommended.

5. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

I purchased one book out of the Joseph Heywood's woods cop series. I read it faster than I ever read any other book ever then I purchased every book in the series and couldn't put them down. Some great stuff by a Michigan author.

6. aimus1

aimus1

:yeahthat:
    TheDuke is right! The Snowfly is THE novel for Michigan Fly Fisherman. Damn that Raina Chickerman.
    And yes I've read Seasons on the AuSable. GET IT..ITS GREAT.

7. doogie mac

doogie mac

Wow.
    All good reads here! I will never get tired of Traver. He was simply a brilliant man!
    Along the same lines as Voelker-Jim Enger,The Incomplete Angler. Written on the banks of the AuSable.
    And Jerry Dennis! All of his books are timeless!
    All Michigan made too!

8. I have a host of books about Michigan fly fishing that I really need to sell. Having moved, they're simply collecting dust.
    I fear if I put them in the general 'for sale' section on this site they will get lost quickly in all the activity that area gets.
    Suggestions? Can I get an okay to post them in this area of the board?

I have Rusty's book, signed. Has anyone priced that thing on Amazon? :yikes:

9. jerrob

jerrob

GREAT LAKES STEELHEAD SALMON AND TROUT. by Karl Weixlmann. this is one excellent book, cover to cover. has a little bit of everything for everyone. if you have never done this kind of fishing before, or an avid great lakes trib angler this book is a must read. just a bonus, maybe the best photography i've ever seen in this type of book. $30 at barnes and noble. a bit on the pricy side but no regrets here. i want to thank you guys for your posts, i now have a laundry list of books i wanna read. are we allowed to trade reads on this forum? i'd love to get my paws on STEELHEAD DREAMS.

10. gunrod

gunrod Mods

Thanks for the contribution. And by all means feel free to trade books as you find necessary. Nothing against the site rules and probably the best idea I've heard lately.

11. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

Thought I would just let you all know that another installment of the "Woods Cop Mystery" series is coming out. Grady Service is at it once again. I wonder if it will be the last time?

12. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Wow, are they all signed? I saw them listed from anywhere from $75 to $400.

13. rvrwader

rvrwader

For beginners I would highly recommend the Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide and the LL Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook.

14. Creekgeek

Creekgeek

hey drgulian; I would love to take the books and give them a great home! I am new to fly fishing. I am taking a fly tying class with Terry Drinkwine! Looking forward to fishing rivers in southeast MI. Bass and Walleye on Lake St. Clair are on my radar also. Have been reading a lot online but nothing takes the place of relaxing in my recliner with a good book. I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how to get in touch with you. I know there's a PM section, haven't used it. But will go and figure it out. Creekgeeek

15. jonatan

jonatan