Recommendations for my wife

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by bmoffit, Nov 14, 2020.

1. bmoffit

bmoffit

The wife wants to switch from the vertical to the crossbow. I know absolutely nothing about them. Ive shot one once.

could you guys throw me some ideas for an affordable and durable crossbow.... optics... etc??

thanks

2. Waif

Waif

Only a suggestion.
    A used Excalibur Axiom or similar vintage model.
    Get a new string , a stringer , and research adjusting brace height.
    Optics don't have to be fantastic . It's a close range proposition.
    Crossbow scope ,yes if she wants a scope. Super high dollar scope , not required.

YAKFish#1, syonker and bmoffit like this.

3. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Your probably going to be confused with many different opinions and others condemning those opinions. I personally like the Barnet raptor FX because of the light weight, mobility and narrow width allowing ease of movement in a blind. That being said I still would not suggest this but would rather suggest going to a store and actually handle and shoot multiple crossbows to make her own decision or pick out one. Because even the one I mentioned is awkward and still heavy walking to and fro to the blind I highly recommend a sling. I also suggest that she also pulls or cock the crossbows she looks at and find one she can easily cock as well as hold handle safely and shoot. Whatever crossbow she decides on I would also suggest it can be used with a crank instead of just a pull cord. This will allow for age, disability like arthritis, and also if she is hurt or have surgery a crank at these times is a must. Otherwise it's easier and more convenient just to use the pull cord to cock them. Best of luck and hope she enjoys hunting with the crossbow. Anything to keep hunting and being outdoors is awesome.

kisherfisher, Waif and bmoffit like this.
  4. shawnhunts1

shawnhunts1

older vixen excalibur cross bow

YAKFish#1 and bmoffit like this.
  5. 454casull

454casull

Has your wife loaded yours? What is her physicality? Injuries? Big frame, little frame? As stated previously there are more than enough choices out there to find her something that works. If she needs a cranking device then your options just got smaller, Wicked Ridge is a good line to look at. My suggestion would be to contact Wyvern Creations and have them help you with the decision. Ultimately it will come down to what fits her best. I know a lot of guys use Barnett but I would not recommend them to a friend. That stated if a Barnett is the bow that chooses her then do what you must.

textox likes this.
  6. kappa8

kappa8 Premium Member

It's like picking a shotgun: whatever "fits" the shooter best (which especially includes loading the string). As 454 pointed out, her physical attributes are the biggest contributor to "fit". Get to a pro shop and have her shoot several different styles.

The good suggestion for an older Excalibur model escapes the pro shop opportunity. But, affordable = used Excalibur. Durable = older (wide span Exo series: Axiom, Ibex, Eclipse, Vixen, Vortex all have draw forces 200# or less) Ecalibur. If you're not span limited within the blind (35" for aforementioned models), older used Excaliburs fit your criteria. They're available on Craigslist post-season at bargain prices. None should go over $500, and include half dozen bolts and optics (maybe not illuminated) and more.

For optics, it's highly recommended to have an illuminated reticle to maximize your hunting opportunities. Open fields, not required. But in dense woods, they add precious minutes to legal hunting hours where dusk is felt earlier. I lost a 10-point last year because I couldn't place a non-illuminated reticle on him in the woods and had to let him walk.

YAKFish#1 and bmoffit like this.
  7. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Buddy of mine purchased a Center Point Sniper 370 and it far exceeded expectations. Think they are made in Taiwan, free capitalist country for now. Center point is owned by the same parent company as Ravin. Nice thing about this crossbow is the M4 style adjustable stock, this way the xbow would fit both of you.

kisherfisher, bmoffit and DayDrink like this.
  8. Cat Power

Cat Power

Excalibur micro 335

9. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

I know of a couple of Ten Point Shadow Ultralights that are for sale. I’d probably recommend a Ravin R10. I know how to get 20% off. PM if you have questions.

10. 1morebite

1morebite

11. 1morebite

1morebite

My wife uses the Nightmare Micro 335.
    Medium frame but she cannot cock it. I cock it for her when we go out, then she has the cocking device. She has never needed a second shot.
    The Micro series are small, accurate and fast. Her bow is closer to 345 fps on my Chrono.

12. bmoffit

bmoffit

Thanks for all the input! I think after the season is over she will get serious about it We have a good bow shop we use often that carry a few top brands. That will give her a chance to shoot a few. Thanks

13. motdean

motdean

@bmoffit

Yeah, has she loaded yours?

14. bmoffit

bmoffit

Nope just my dinner plate!!!

triplelunger likes this.
  15. mitraditional

mitraditional

I can recommend the Barnett Recuit. I own one and being small at 5'2" 140lb. I can cock the bow with a stringer. It has a small width and light weight. So far after 3 years it has been trouble free.

bmoffit likes this.