Recommendations for a Quality Reel

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by GBHunt&Fish, Sep 5, 2018.

1. GBHunt&Fish

GBHunt&Fish

I am looking into buying a nice reel to pair with a G. Loomis 13' GLX rod. I have done some research online and notice there are more than a few types of reels out there. What is the difference between Bushings, Bearings, and Spindle+Hub reels? What reel do people recommend? Preferably under $500. So far I have heard good things about Milner, JW and Sons, and Islander.

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Out west bushings are good - here, I think bearings suit us better. Look up John Milner on YouTube he does a breakdown between the two.

Islanders are bulletproof tanks. Perform acceptably.

However my preference are Milners. Smooth, solid, great startup, larger diameter for slightly faster retrieve, easy to engage clicker, easy to take off spool to clean out grit or ice, great craftsmanship, classic look. Can’t go wrong really.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I agree with Adam, you can not go wrong with a Milner. He makes a right and left hand retrieve reel, don't worry about which one you get the right can be used for left hand retrieve, it just puts the clicker lever on the front of the reel when used and visa versa. Both of my Milner's are rt. hand and I use them for left hand retrieve and really like that setup.

4. slightofhand

slightofhand

Milner and Colville, Islanders right there also. Lots of good deals to be had on used ones, good luck in your search!

5. wyandot

wyandot

I would look for a used 5" Milner Kingfisher, bearing model. Avoid reels with dings in the spool or backing plate if at all possible. Not only are they a good reel, their re-sale value is second to none should you decide it ain't your bag.