Recommendations for a .300 Win Mag

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by TheLionsFan, Jul 29, 2020 at 7:55 PM.

1. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I'm with you brother....

TheLionsFan likes this.
  2. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I think for moose he was looking at a well respected planner that was booked out I want to say 5 years and I think you had to drop your 50 percent up front. Might have been 5k or something for his services and not sure if that even included the bush flight.

That's why I hunt for the less popular black bear and blacktail deer would be another option. No guides, no waiting lists, no drawings outside of se alaska, and wonderful country. Might try for caribou someday as at least that is more feasible than the moose hunt.

3. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

It can be expensive hunting AK, sometimes its cheaper to hunt Africa.

You can do black bear and caribou for cheap. Even black tail can get up there in price because of transportation costs.

I used to do a fly in caribou hunt for $500. I've done fly in sheep hunts for under a grand.

One year I was helping a group of non res hunters plan a blackmail hunt. It was on hitchenbrook Island and was a boat based hunt. It would have cost each hunter around $750 per person plus tags and flights from MI. Not bad to take a warm shower every night.

It can be done relatively cheap with research

shaffe48b and TheLionsFan like this.
  4. ro2

ro2

I had that same gun in 7mm mag. That sucker kicked

5. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I had the mkii all weather and the non boat paddle stock. Didnt knock me around more than expected. Straight stock. Decent heft.

6. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

You've got all the connections we'll have to ask your ideas.

Ive noticed even advertised prices are cheaper for residents. Also residents are more able to fly on the seat of their pants...figuratelively. Had one guy in anchorage with a great price but he wouldn't send us an email in writing even saying he was going to fly us. Well we aren't flying all the way to alaska for that.

Other than that I get out of anchorage. A lot of people are going to be crowding that area an hour or two flight time out of anchorage and an hour flight time is 300-1k one way. Commercial flights out of anchorage to another town are a couple hundred round trip killer bargain by comparison.

7. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Never fly out of Anchorage....lol. some good companies but usually the rang of their aircraft can prohibit you from getting to a good spot, atleast where there isn't 400 other hunters.

Yeah, you can ask for a resident price vs normal booking rates. I've been in MI for 7 years now but alot of places would offer a resident discount.

Best idea I can give is fly in los Anchorage or fairbanks, rent one of those u-haul pick ups and drive to a more rural flying service. Cheaper than a commercial flight and you can go at your own pace.

shaffe48b likes this.
  8. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

I would think one should buy a particular firearm based on what it would be used for in the immediate future and not "...one day..." that might never come . Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Do you honestly think you can consistently hit a paper plate at 400 yds. shooting offhand ?

9mm Hi-Power

9. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

Or...I can buy what I want to buy, when I want to buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 9mm Hi-Power

Well of course you can - who said anything different. Why post asking for "..." in this or that present or future scenarios and then get huffy about someone's answers ?

9mm Hi-Power

F. Thompson and BruceS like this.
  11. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

No one got huffy. But your response to my question didn’t even remotely contribute to anything I was even asking. I didn’t ask for “guidance” or advice as to when I should buy something or what my level of skills were. I asked about recommendations on a particular gun.

12. 9mm Hi-Power

OK here's my more relevant response - based on my experience it would be unreasonable for you to buy a .338 Win. Mag. under the expectation of "remotely" shooting a Brown Bear someday but using it to shoot game that can easily be killed with cartridges with much less felt recoil. A casual search of guided Brown Bear Alaskan hunts seem to range between $14,000 and $21,000 . If you can afford that - and sincerely good for you if you can - I'm sure you'd be able to spring for another $700.00 - $900.00 (your posted price range) rifle in a heavy magnum caliber.

Everyone reacts to felt recoil differently and it can vary from one rifle/pistol/shotgun to another even though the cartridge/shot shell is the same or similar. I find a 9mm handgun much more pleasant to shoot than a"snappy" .380 ACP. I had a Ruger .243 M77 and I was surprised at the recoil. On the other hand I had a Remington 700 custom chambered for the 'wildcat' 30/338 cartridge (.338 case necked down to .30) and I could shoot it all day long with Sierra HPBT 200 grain hand loads at about 2850 fps using IMR-4831 powder. I shot a friend's .338 Win. Mag. (M70) and I felt the recoil to be very unpleasant. I also shot a .458 Winchester on a Mauser actioned buffalo/culling rifle from Africa and found it more much more "pleasant" to shoot even after numerous rounds. So my advice to you if you might have a chance to "remotely" kill a Brown Bear - buy a .458 Win. Mag rifle on a Mauser action rather than a M70 .338 Win. Mag. because of less recoil. Somehow I don't think you're going to go down that road.

The bottom line is you will never know how you'll react to pulling a trigger on a .338 Win. Mag. or any other cartridge until YOU actually do it.

9mm Hi-Power

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 8:19 PM
  13. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

I appreciate the good response. To be honest, looking more deeply into the brown bear thing found it’s much less likely for me to do any time soon than I originally thought. Price being the factor that I learned more about.

So, the remote thought of .338 is out the window anyway. Back to .300, which I have shot several times.

14. 9mm Hi-Power

I had a Ruger No. 1 .300 Win. Mag. that was one of those "Why did I ever sell it" rifles. Very, very accurate esp. for a No. 1 and not at all unpleasant to shoot. Good luck which whatever caliber/rifle you choose.

9mm Hi-Power

TheLionsFan likes this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

For brown bear consider a 338 win mag. More moose have died from a 303 British than any other caliber but only because they are military surplus in Canada.

TheLionsFan likes this.