close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend me a muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by d_rek, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Last year I bought my daughter a t.c omega from dicks..they took the Dunham s 20 percent coupon on it..i think I pulled a fast one..lol

2. reddog1

reddog1

I had the old style CVA that my wife bought for me years ago. It was an accurate gun but a pain in the butt to clean as you had to unscrew the cap at the back of the barrel and then release the bolt. Not very field friendly.
    8 years ago I upgraded to a Traditions with a laminate thumbhole stock and a ported barrel and a twist out breech plug. I can easily run a patch through it in the field if need be but I have never had to. I put a 3x9 Nikon scope on it. It is all I use even during the regular firearm season.

Attached Files:

Swampdog467 and d_rek like this.

3. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

I shot mine with iron sights and I couldn't believe how good /accurate it is !!
    I later scoped it and really did the weapon justice. ..
    This was the original disc muzzle ,however. .

4. Slimits

Slimits

Curious on this comment? Between my dad, my wife, and myself we probably have taken close to 25 deer in michigan and out of state over the years with shockwaves and always have had great performance.

5. d_rek

d_rek

Just wanted to say thanks for all the recommendations and to the few who PMd me! Great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. philski

philski

I've TC Omega for many years. Always accurate and reliable. I like the feel of it as well. Easy to shoot w/ Leupold 3x9 scope. Use Shockwave and 150gr

hk_sl8 likes this.
  7. fishinfanatic19

fishinfanatic19

My brother has the same gun i have, CVA Optima V2, and we both started off with the white lightening powder pellets. I had them not fire at the range before, wtf? Pushed them out and they had burn marks, didn't catch. My brother had that happen on a deer. To hell with that i asked for recommendations on here and was recommended black horn 209 powder with black horn breach plug, both of us switched and haven't had a problem since

jiggin is livin and Swampdog467 like this.
  8. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

I have shot a CVA Optima for many years now. 777 pellets and Hornady 240gr sabot loads. The whole thing with a scope was just over 3 hundred. If I had 5 to spend I would be looking at a Thompson Center.

9. WACKNSTACK

WACKNSTACK

Cva optima, v2 , barnes 250gr and 100gr whitehot. Softball sized groups at 225 yards.

Skip the tc shockwave or hornady sst bullets unless you dont want expansion or blood trails...

10. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Why I can't get rid of mine !! My old man and my uncles all bought them yrs and yrs ago for Iowa to shoot longer distances then their shotguns.. Baby still shoots like it did first day I took it over. Many of deer have fallen with that weapon, hopefully another this afternoon ;)

11. thill

thill

I love my CVA Accura, it was the most accurate gun I own until I bought my 450 BM. I also have an older thompson center which shoots nice. I'd say you can't go wrong with either CVA or thompson center but...if you follow any of the advice on here follow this....Definitely use blackhorn powder and Barnes bullets.

12. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

I sincerely hope that you do take a deer this afternoon! If you do, I just might doubt that disc it gets sold anytime soon. .. lol

13. Slimits

Slimits

Wonder if you got a bad batch. Never had an issue with shockwaves

dewy6068, jiggin is livin and sniper like this.
  14. fishpig

fishpig

I had the same problems with shockwaves, very accurate but performance on deer was all over the place. Some expanded, some didn't, had a couple jackets completely separated from the core. Pulled one out of a doe I shot and other than the yellow tip being a little flattened I could have put it in a new sabot and shot it again.

15. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

This is your brain on shockwave

DSCN0011.jpg

bigal06 likes this.