close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Really need advice for my lab

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Hunt0527, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Hunt0527

Hunt0527

I'll try and keep this short. I have a 1 year old male lab out of very good bloodlines I paid a lot of money for and he has all the potential in the world to be a great gun dog, but he has one huge flaw. He is possessive over food and birds, to the point where I feel he very well may bite me or someone else. I can't afford a professional trainer and I've tried working it out on my own but it doesn't seem to get very far. I'm not sure what else to do so I'm hoping someone here can help. He listens great, is well behaved, absolutely lives to retrieve, but i can't have a dog that I can't trust. I'm to the point where I am considering giving him away to someone who may be able to fix the problem, has the means to pay someone to, or is okay with it. I really don't want to give away my buddy but I don't know if there are any other options. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. birdhntr

birdhntr

Alpha dog training or positive reinforcement.Read up on this.This can be a slippery slope.Alpha training requires you to not show a hint of fear of the dog or it's useless.positive reinforcement is the psychological approach.I had a gsp that I balanced both methods with.I would tell people stories about Jack and people would say he is such a sweetheart and be in disbelief.Only a few knew what he was like before.180 degrees with that dog.Read up on the methods

3. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Have you contacted your breeder? He may be able to give you a hand

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nostromo likes this.
  4. gundogguy

gundogguy

Free advice will get you know where with this situation.
    At 12 months of age the reformation of this dogs behavior needs to start now.
    Potential in a pup is meaningless unless training is applied to develop said potential.

Has the pup been force broke to retrieve? If not why not. If so who did the work?
    Is the pup going through transition? That is blinds and multiple marks?
    I ask these questions because over the years poor behavior and aggressive behavior come from lack of training and teaching the dog he has a "job". Even dogs that will never see the field or swamp need a job so that they have an understanding of where they fit in the "pack".

The behavior you are seeing is a dog that knows not where he belongs.
    Now this is free, Fix the mouth teach him a simple job and he will transition to PACK. If not you will see his "DRIVE" come out his mouth and that is not a good thing.

5. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

Here is my free advice.

Feed him in a crate.

Force fetch him.

ajkulish, JBooth and Steelheadfred like this.
  6. NATTY BUMPO

NATTY BUMPO

GDG has given the best response.

But you are nine months too late. Training and socialization, the right way, starts the day you brought that pup home from the breeder. And you failed to do that. And you have created a dangerous dog.

You need professional help, like "El Pronto", an intervention, before he bites you or somebody else. Dog bites are nothing to laugh about and can create serious soft tissue infections.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    PA BUCK 2 and plugger like this.
  7. Hunt0527

Hunt0527

He has been this way since the day I got him home. Positive reinforcement has made it manageable for the food but not so much for a bird. I haven't force fetched him because I figured what's the point if I can't hunt with him.

8. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

The force fetch can allow you to hunt him. If he has bad bird manners and gets away with it, you are reinforcing the problem and he shouldn't be hunted. The force fetch when done in correct order will teach him what you expect.

slammer and Nostromo like this.
  9. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

GDG, SWM & Natty are all pretty much saying the same thing. I would follow their advice.

6Speed likes this.
  10. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

Spot on
    Is this your first dog?
    Have you contacted the breeder?
    Have you contacted a trainer or a few to see what they charge? Average price $700-1000
    Where are you located

Your pup needs to know who is in charge and their job and place in pack

waterfowlhunter83 likes this.
  11. Hunt0527

Hunt0527

My second dog. I haven't contacted the breeder, I have contacted the previous owner of his dad. but the trainer I talked to was 800 a month for few months. Would neutering him help at all?

12. Hunt0527

Hunt0527

Located on the west side near muskegon

13. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Message the guy above you. Nick Moe (NMmechanical). He trains dogs and is not too far from you. Neutering does not make aggressive dogs unaggressive

14. Steelheadfred

Steelheadfred

I think we need more info? Regarding how aggressive he is towards food? Like growling at you? Is he crate trained? Does he have a safe place for himself? Is he fully collar conditioned?

Will he sit while you set the food down then release him to eat? I do this all the time, it pays off in spades in the field, same with coming out of a crate, kennel, or through a door, you go through the door first, not the dog, then he is released to exit the door.

Possessive of birds can be a training positive, as he must learn to work for the reward. Force Fetch is the answer here as many have mentioned.

dauber, Hal Standish and Tomfive5 like this.
  15. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Have bred ,trained,hunted dogs ...but not for birds.
    So, only opinion here.

Your " pup"(despite it's age) is only doing what a pup ,and other siblings do.
    When I feed a dog ,it is my control . When I put the wrong dish in the wrong crate and have to switch it, that is up to me ,not a dog.
    Like other things ,who calls the shots?
    Aggression or unacceptable behavior in pups is corrected right now. Not unlike their bitch would .
    "Give it" means it is now my possession. If I want you to have it I'll let you have it. But should I again order you to "give it" , you will give it.

The owner needs trained before the dog can be.
    When I command your dog and train it and you don't know what and how I train , and you are not me ....then what does that mean to your dog?
    It means I am in charge of your dog.
    You duplicate me , you control your dogs desires the way I do and you are closer to getting the same results.
    Meanwhile ,the dog will pick up on your chinks in behavior. Test limits , and test who really is in control of it's desires .

Consistency. Trust (belief) that I mean what I say and that what I command will happen, only comes from repetition(proof) till the dog responds in solid faith.
    That is not on the dog. It is on me.

The feed bowl is mine. Sit. Wait. If I hold it and tell you alright you can eat but I will hold it if I so desire. You can eat or don't. If I set it down that does not mean you jump in it. Sit. I'll tell you when it is o.k..
    Some dive in to eating when I close their crate today. Some wait till I leave the room.
    All know the dish (s) is/are mine and if I want to take it I will ,without objection.
    They don't have that luxury of objecting because I outrank them all. Fair and square and Consistently.
    I can feed them a piece of dried food at a time ,or feed them soft food with a spoon.
    See what I'm getting at? Do what I want you to (with fair reason on my part and trust on theirs involved) , and things go good. Don't challenge my being in charge again or we just go back to who's in charge again and it is still not you.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    skidoojc likes this.